Komodo in May + a volcano, need advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DesertEagle

Contributor
Reaction score
Komodo has been on my list for a long time. My tickets are booked for an arrival in Bali on May 3rd. Departure is May 14th. The current plan is to overnight near Denpasar and take a Garuda flight to Labuan Bajo.

Ideally I want to have a 3-day liveboard plus 3-4 days of land-based diving. The liveaboard search is not working out well for those dates, so I may be land-based the whole trip. My one need on a liveboard is air conditioning.

It would be nice to use the last 2-3 days for something new. I visited Bali 3 years ago and enjoyed unwinding in Ubud. I could do that, but I really want to visit an active volcano. I need some advice on this. One idea is to fly from Labuan Bajo to Ende or Maumere for a side trip to Kelimutu crater. The other option would be to fly back from Labuan Bajo to Surabaya for a trip to Bromo in East Java. Which would be easier logistically? Which would be more rewarding?

Komodo has been on my list for a long time. My tickets are booked for an arrival in Bali on May 3rd. Departure is May 14th. The current plan is to overnight near Denpasar and take a Garuda flight to Labuan Bajo.

Ideally I want to have a 3-day liveboard plus 3-4 days of land-based diving. The liveaboard search is not working out well for those dates, so I may be land-based the whole trip. My one need on a liveboard is air conditioning.

It would be nice to use the last 2-3 days for something new. I visited Bali 3 years ago and enjoyed unwinding in Ubud. I could do that, but I really want to visit an active volcano. I need some advice on this. One idea is to fly from Labuan Bajo to Ende or Maumere for a side trip to Kelimutu crater. The other option would be to fly back from Labuan Bajo to Surabaya for a trip to Bromo in East Java. Which would be easier logistically? Which would be more rewarding?
Did you check Dragon dive Komodo or Uberscuba liveaboard (these are budget and short LAs, they're reviewed in this board if you search a bit). Personally I have been on the Dragon Dive Komodo Liveaboard, booked their "suite" which is really breezy without aircon, stayed at their town hotel with aircon rooms and liked both.
Kelimutu is not active at all, you go here for sunrise, there are three colored lakes flooding the craters, ginger coffee peddlers at the top, you watch the sunrise, it's quite nice but it's soon time to find something else to do and it's only 8AM while Moni the closest village is quite unattractive. Kelimutu is a fine attraction if you are crossing Flores island (which is beautiful inland btw) , not sure I would fly for Kelimutu only tho.
Your best bet for active volcanoes would be East Java, and visit either Bromo or the Kawah Ijen (that's where you're supposed to see the blue fire and the sulfur porters). Can't say much, never experienced them.

Yes, I’ve been in contact with William at Dragon Dive. For land based diving I like that they have a speedboat in addition to a regular day boat. Also I did notice your wrasse photo on their website. Magnificent!

Uber is also on my list to consider.

Visiting Bromo looks more attractive. I would keep it to one or two nights. There should be no need to go at sunrise I visit during day hours and watch the sunset.

Back
Top Bottom