Koh Tao Whale Sharks - Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

markusde

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This comes in a bit late, I know, but I didn't find the time to do it earlier. So I was in Koh Samui again, early January 2010, and did some diving with Planet Scuba. And one lucky day, we took the Speed Boat out to Chumphon Pinnacle, and there I had some of the most touching experiences in my life.

First of all, just after jumping into the water, there was a young Whale Shark directly next to me in the water, allowing for some perfect pics. It was about 4,5 meters long, I guess. I was really moved and couldn't believe it!

Then, going down to about 20 meters, we saw two female bull sharks out there doing circles. Distance about 10 m, size about 4 meters. Frightening. I took some videos which I eventually will put on YouTube, but it was very dark down there which didn't really help to improve the video. It did help to start up my heart rate, though. Amazing!

If you want to see pictures, go to my member gallery or to my blog: Whale Sharks in the Gulf of Thailand | No Limits Dive Blog

Hey Markus,

Congrats on the Whale Sharks... I know people who have literally done 100's of dives in Tao and never have they seen one. I pretty much have the same feeling as you when I have been lucky enough to see them, and every time it has been at Chumphon... Pretty amazing experience!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom