Koh Tao Resorts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JerryR,

You'll have plenty of selection if you're going to KT. On your budget, you should be able to find your requirements.

As mentioned by previous contributors, Sairee is the heart of KT BUT it can get noisy if you're smack in the middle of that strip.

If you want upmarket, Coral Grand is on the western end of the Sairee area. I'm not sure if 2500 will cover it. If you want excellent views and a bit of luxury, there is a resort up high on the western extreme of the Island called THIPWIMARN. There is a nice restaurant there and I used to go up for sunset dinners on special occasions when I lived on KT.

For diving, KT is an island full of shops. If you're looking for bit more independent, bit smaller and personal service, try Scuba Junction (SCUBA Diving Koh Tao Thailand | Scuba Junction). If you're into bigger boats and more people, there are the larger dive resorts like Bans and Asia Divers. These places can probably put you up for an accommodation/dive package as well.

Have a good weekend. I'm sure it'll be a fun one.

My questions for the OP are... what sort of people do you want to share the resort with?

Couples? Backpackers? Holidaymakers?

Do you want a dive center that offers a personalized service, or do you want to enjoy the social aspect of mingling with a host of other divers?

Do you want to dive...or do you want to do courses?

Thanks for helping on this. We're regular divers, so we're looking smaller group on the boat -- anything over 15 - 20 or so is much too crowded. Looking for a hotel with couples but doesn't have to be, we like to mix with people. Not in town, but close enough to get there in 10 - 15 minutes or so, preferrably walking. We're lookin for some slightly upscale place, and we can splurge to 3500 baht a night per couple...

Thanks for helping on this. We're regular divers, so we're looking smaller group on the boat -- anything over 15 - 20 or so is much too crowded.

Then the big operations like Bans, Asia Divers, Big Blue, Crystal, Simple Life or Buddha View aren't for you.

The middle-size operations, like DJL, Scuba Junction and Coral Grand may be okay - depending on how busy the island is.

Smaller operations, such as Seashell, Island Divers or Siam Scuba offer smaller groups in the water..and less people on the boats... but make an honest evaluation of the staff and procedures before booking dives.

Looking for a hotel with couples but doesn't have to be, we like to mix with people. Not in town, but close enough to get there in 10 - 15 minutes or so, preferrably walking. We're lookin for some slightly upscale place, and we can splurge to 3500 baht a night per couple...

I would recommend booking your accommodation only at first (that's easy to identify online) and then spending a relaxing half-day touring the dive shops until you find one that suits your needs and expectations.

The area you will most probably want to be (based on ease of walk into town, whilst being some distance from the noise) is north of Sairee. Have a look around Thipwimam Resort or 'The Rocks' villas.

07map-tao_a.gif

07map-tao_b.gif
07map-tao_c.gif

Another option is to look at the resorts in Mae Haad. (On the map...it is the area around Senssei Paradise resort, near the pier) There is a nice beach there, and only 10 minutes walk to the restaurants and shops in Mae Haad. You will have to catch a 5 min taxi to Sairee to enjoy the nightlife though. Because it is away from Sairee, the accommodation prices are cheaper here. If in Mae Haad, then I recommend Master Divers for your diving. :)

HERE is a link that details many of the resorts/dive ops, along with a location map...

Can I suggest a nice little jaunt to the south end of the island? Chalook Baan Kao has grown in the last 5 years, but it's still removed from the main towns enough to have a quiet feel. Nicer accommodation, smaller dive operators, and food abounds. Plus, if want a night up in Sairee or Mae Haad, just take a taxi. Come back to the south-side for a nice night by the beach.

There are a few mid to high end resorts down here. Jamakiri, Koh Tao Resort, New Haven...

Like Devon and others have mentioned it all depends on what you want out of your trip. Chalook is more and more geared towards families and couples. Having said that, Buddah View and Freedom Beach are there as well, so there's no shortage of youth and sun worshippers.

I think a major advantage of diving from the smaller shops in Chalook (now that I work at one), is that we tend to avoid the over crowded dive sites that all the other shops storm into. I rarely see more than one other boat most days on a dive site when I teach. Compare that to 6 to 8 boats with 40 to 50 people on them..... Japanese, Twins, Mango, White Rock.... they used to be my back yard. Now I've really begun to appreciate some beautiful and lesser known sites. Laan Khai? Not even on most Tao maps.

Anyway, have a great trip wherever you end up...

We live in Bangkok and are going to Koh Tao for a long weekend with out-of-town friends. We're looking for a good dive shop and a nice hotel that is in the price range of 2500 Baht per night per room. We're looking for something with a little night life nearby, some restaurants we can walk to, on the beach and a dive shop near by or in the hotel preferrably. Not too touristy, but comfortable and with A/C.

OK, let the suggestions come in!!!

Thanks,

Oi! West Coasties, are you all asleep?

It's plain this guy is interested in a Richelieu Rock liveaboard

When I was there in 2001, I dove with Planet SCUBA and stayed in one of their single rooms with private bath on the beach near the main town for $3.50/night (with several nights free). I enjoyed it (I'm a backpacker) although I must admit some of their dive gear was in terrible shape and I had to ask for replacements.

Back
Top Bottom