Koh Tao - Is this the right place for us?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Riger

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all,

I am thinking of taking my family (+ a friend of each of my 2 children) to Thailand for 3-4 weeks during July/August 2010.

My wife and I each have 90 dives and have advanced+nitrox certs with mostly live-aboard experience. I plan to let the 4 children, 11-13 do their OW courses + fun diving thereafter.

The instructor couple that certified us in the Maldives 2 years ago are now resident on Koh Tao and are running dive services there.

My question is this, is Koh Tao suitable for a long stay? Might it be too hustle/bustle? Is it over dived and crowded under water etc...

I look forward to enjoying the holiday and seeing our instructors (they are very professional) but they may be (understandably) biased toward Koh Tao and I want to be sure that I am going to the right place.

Any and all thoughts appreciated.

Best Regards

Richard

At that point of year i deffo would go to Koh Tao (or phangan&samui) Sea conditions should be much more better than in phuket.

I would say that Koh tao is good place to spent 3-4 week with diving. If you are not diver it could get little bit boring, cos the island is not the biggest 1. But there is 3 island very close to each others, so its very easy to change if you get bored during your stay.

I think it would be excellent choice, especially since you like the instructors. It sounds ideal for your kids as well. The dive sites are all very close. Koh Tao also has a very good selection of places to eat. During your stay you can always go to Samui to break things up and catch a movie, bowl or check out landmarks such as waterfalls and grandma/grandfather rocks.

I think the only honest answer to this question can be: 'yes'.

Still, it is a nice island and you'll have a good time, just don't expect too much from the diving.

"Don't expect too much from the diving" ???

That certainly put's the cat amongst the pigeon's for me!!

Care to expand?

Best Regards

Richard

Koh Tao is a place where many people get their open water certification. There are not that many fundivers.

This means that under water you'll see lots of divers, most of whom are learning. The divesites are IMO not that nice, only Chumpon Pinnacle and Sail Rock are on par with sites like Shark point and Racha Noi in the Andaman Sea.

I'm sure though other people here will give you a different perspective.

stevenl, that is a valuable perspective.

That being the case, it may be better for my wife and I to do our rescue course while the kids do OW (10 days-ish), and then move to another Island? Panang or Samui perhaps.

Any thoughts on this approach?

Best Regards

I would prefer to stay on Koh Tao over Samui, because the diving is closer by. From Samui most divesites will be in the Koh Tao area.

Agree with your approach of the open water and rescue course.

Have you considered Perhantians (Malaysia)?

Koh Phangan and Koh Samui dive centers mainly use Koh Tao dive sites, in my opinion you're best off to stay on Koh Tao, price wise it will be your best option but try to find dive centers that visit lesser visited places like Lighthouse or sites on the east side of the island.

The sites on Koh Tao are good, especially for beginners and I think that for your children Koh Tao is the right place to learn and expand their abilities.

As Arizona already pointed out, you can always swap between islands (Tao, Phangan and Samui) to get a bit of a break or have some other things to do than only diving, Samui can easily cater to the latter.

Let me ask this then;

When Stevenl says "Don't expect too much from the diving", it is not dead under the water is it? There is life and enjoyable dive opportunities, Kreepy Crawlies and fish ....

Regards

Richard

Back
Top Bottom