Koh Tao is... Death Island!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps ScubaBoard should arrange a male only Surge to "Death Island", but all the men must wear bikinis. This could rid the island of the problem (and probably of most of its population).

It would be interesting to hear @Ian Yarwood's response as he features in this article a bit.

I tried to see if there was any granular OZ data re Koh Tao but only found country wide data.

Thailand represents just over 4 times the risk of death for Australians than Indonesia. Couldn't find comparative data for the Philippines and Vietnam.

Top five countries for death cases
  1. 238 Thailand up 17%
  2. 153 Philippines up 21%
  3. 117 Indonesia up 9%
  4. 98 United States down 1%
  5. 85 Vietnam down 2%
Top ten destinations for overseas trips
  1. New Zealand 1,419,600
  2. Indonesia 1,209,600
  3. United States 1,082,300
  4. United Kingdom 644,600
  5. Thailand 580,200
The website aihs.gov.au puts the death rate for Australians at just over 500 per 100,000, so 238 deaths for 580,200 visitors looks good, except for the fact that the aged, the infirm, the termianally ill are unlikely to travel. On the other hand you probably have a whole lot of sub 30 year old males in Thailand, doing really stupid things. When I was in that category, I had several incidents that could easily have been fatal, without leaving Melbourne.

Not too many dive boats going to chop you into pieces in Melbourne are there?

Not too many dive boats going to chop you into pieces in Melbourne are there?
This happened everywhere and is NOT exclusively on Koh Tao only.
We have one case in our local water several yrs ago. Another local resident suffered the same fate in Apo Island(Philippines) not too long ago.

If you bothered to search in SB(Accidents and Incidents) you will find plenty of examples.

This happened everywhere and is NOT exclusively on Koh Tao only.
We have one case in our local water several yrs ago. Another local resident suffered the same fate in Apo Island(Philippines) not too long ago.

If you bothered to search in SB(Accidents and Incidents) you will find plenty of examples.
Well you are not taking things into context. The response was to “similar things happen on the streets of Melbourne.” I didn’t see a lot of amphibious diving boats on the streets of Melbourne, but maybe my few Days there wasn’t a full experience. I’m sure there plenty of Rophenol to go around there as well as Thailand.

I did my OW through Rescue courses at KT over several years...and lived to tell about it. Of course I didn't do any of my training in a bikini.

Ian Yarwood doesn't half spout some rubbish about Koh Tao, the 'Samui Times' (garbage) and himself are responsible for most of the media stories about Koh Tao, with poor journalism lapping up his lies.

The damage his nonsense posts are doing is worth thinking about, with old wounds being reopened on accidental deaths whose families are now doubting obvious truths. Shame on you Yarwood!

I did my OW through Rescue courses at KT over several years...and lived to tell about it. Of course I didn't do any of my training in a bikini.
What is your point?
How often have you seen divers in bikini because I have never seen one over last 22yrs? And I am more or less dive exclusively in the warm water of SE Asia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom