Koh Tao compared to Phuket (marine life)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CPixie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

Just looking into where to go for some diving & courses this year (around Oct-Dec).

What are the main differences between Koh Tao and Pukhet (without the Similans) for marine life? From an instructor point of view, I know it's all about personal preference & meeting the instructor beforehand, but:
From a diving point of view: is any one place better or worse to do dive training (from AOW up to DM). Just as a rule of thumb I mean...

(If there is a difference at all...)

Thanks a lot!
CPixie

Cpixie

The Similan Islands is arguably one of the top 10 dive destinations in the World. Phuket is right beside it so it's very similar, they get all those lovely colorful fish coming down for a visit.

As far as training goes you're going to get the same level of experience on both sides, price might vary though.

The water, currents and depth are completely different from the east coast (Koh Tao) to the West Coast (Phuket) so the diving is leaps and bounds different. Again it depends on what you're into.

What does happen during your stay though is the Smilians opens in November and in Koh Tao begins monsoon season (which can be interesting but not the best for consistent diving
) If similans is good then so is Phuket.

Best to wait for the hardcore Phuket people and Koh Tao people to come on here and bash each other to give you the best idea :)

I'm not into the east verses west bashing. The west coast should be improving from the time you want onwards as the NE monsoon takes over.

Krabi on the other hand has access to Phuket sites (Shark Point) and Phi Phi. Also our local islands. But I think you said you had settled on Phuket anyway in another thread. You'll do ok.

I did my divemaster and instructor course on Koh Tao. I would not recommend you do it there in December as the weather is not the best causing many dive boats to cancel dives.

In comparing the marine life......Similan Islands is like the whole box of chocolates, Koh Tao just a snickers bar. When I researched where I would go, I chose Koh Tao for the cost, not just for the course itself but the general cost of accomodation and transport etc.

If you are staying for some time remember the visa runs. From Koh Tao they were quiet reasonable with a number of options.

Happy chosing.

One of previous posts compares the quality 'Phuket is a whole box of chocolate and Koh Tao just a snickers bar...'

My motto is 'you get what you pay for...' meaning just compare how much your box of chocolate will cost you in Phuket and how many more snickers bars you can buy with that money in the Gulf of Thailand....:wink:

My motto is 'you get what you pay for...

Hmm..Pattaya is more expensive than Ko Tao so it must be better...:)

One of previous posts compares the quality 'Phuket is a whole box of chocolate and Koh Tao just a snickers bar...'

My motto is 'you get what you pay for...' meaning just compare how much your box of chocolate will cost you in Phuket and how many more snickers bars you can buy with that money in the Gulf of Thailand....:wink:

I believe it was written 'Similan Islands is like the whole box of chocolates, Koh Tao just a snickers bar', not Phuket.:)

My experience is that it is more marine life on the west coast, I never saw a leopard shark at koh tao, I know some has, but its more rare over there.. same with manta rays (although last year was crap at Koh Bon (west side) too.)

Koh Tao is alot cheaper for courses, has plenty of students to work with all the time, and I actually enjoyed my dec/january weatherwise, its colder :) From around March it gets very very hot...

An OW course may cost you as much as 19000 at the west side, but only 9800 at the rock... just as an example... I paid 22000 for my DM, including gear, and 40 dives over 3-4 weeks..

I would go for K'Tao, allthough the marine life is a bit less spectacular, but then again: Once u dived Phillipines u will return more and more seldom to Thailand :wink:... except for the nice people and the food...

An OW course may cost you as much as 19000 at the west side, but only 9800 at the rock...

Nineteen Thousand? That must be a rather extreme example. I don't recall seeing any courses that price around here. We have course options from 11,900 - 16,900 - the most expensive being for a 1:1 private course with 2 day trips on the boat.

Back
Top Bottom