Koh Tao 20th-23rd August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Ayesha,

Great to know that you sent off those pix. I've posted a few entries about box jelly fish on my dive blog and there are a few reports of sightings and their consequences in Thai waters.

I also encountered a Morbakka during a wreck exploration trip off Pattaya and made similar shots like you, Morbakka 1 and Morbakka 2.

Whaleshark at Chumpon yesterday .....obviously I was at Southwest Pinnacle....

Heading to Chumpon this afternoon......

Some more jelly pix from yesterday attached....not so rare methinks this time.....

Attachments

• 23_08_10_122.jpg
    23_08_10_122.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 23_08_10_158.jpg
    23_08_10_158.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 23_08_10_164.jpg
    23_08_10_164.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 34
Whaleshark at Chumpon yesterday .....obviously I was at Southwest Pinnacle....

Heading to Chumpon this afternoon......

Some more jelly pix from yesterday attached....not so rare methinks this time.....

Hi Ayesha,

Although not as potentially dangerous as the Morbakka you shot recently, some of them may still have a punch to reckon with.

John Lipmann will be delighted to get copies with date, location and depth!

The Morbakka was taken at Chumpon Pinnacle - around 14-16m on 19th.

The other 2 were taken on 23rd - the one with the light blue background at around 2m at Southwest Pinnacle, the other one was very close to the surface at Shark Island....

Ill send them to John now....

JellyGirlx

Hi limbo and Ayesha,

Thanks for the reminder. I see from the original post it was Chumphon but was not sure it was the Pinnacles. I guess that is assumed if talking from Tao.

Thanks for the depth update as well.

I think it is both amazing and outstanding that Ayesha snapped a photo of a box jelly while taking casual photos.

I keep reminding divers on boats to consider full tropical wet suits versus shorties. Even a full .5 mil tropical suit or a pair on panty hose underneath a shorty, like they do in Aus, would provide a lot good protection.

Safety and health first!

Thanks again Ayesha, for this amazing photo!

Hi all, I'm planning on heading back down to the island for a few days next week. Would anyone be kind enough to give me an update on the current conditions?

Hey Russ !

Im not sure who you usually dive with on Koh Ta but I am sure you are aware that it is monsoon and a few of the smaller centres are closed....us at Master Divers, Scuba Junction and a handful of others too....we usually all close for November and avoid the rain. Most of the larger dive centres are open though.....

We have had rain - but probably not enough and its certainly not raining continuously like it should.....probably a shower a day or so with a handfull of days that see more.....wind the last few days has been no existent so the water is calm. The vis is averaging about 5m. The more it rains - the more run off - the worse it will get.. and if the weather picks up then it coudl all change... but it'll be 'ok'.

Ayesha

Back
Top Bottom