Koh Tao 20th-23rd August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RussBKK

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm heading back down to Koh Tao this coming Friday. Does anyone have any information regarding the current conditions, visibility, marine life etc.? I was there six weeks ago and the conditions were quite poor for the time of year.:(

The stormy weather does seem to have passed and the viz is clearing up. Chumpon Pin has been lovely this passed few days. No definate shark sightings yet tho.

Thanks to both of you for the information. I'm counting down the days until Friday like a kid waiting for Santa Clause!!!

This was chumpon yesterday.......

Attachments

• 19_08_10_029.jpg
    19_08_10_029.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 19_08_10_035.jpg
    19_08_10_035.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 53
Interesting. Your photo of a jellyfish looks like a box jelly. Isn't that right? limbo, what do you think?

81260d1282275268t-koh-tao-20th-23rd-august-19_08_10_035.jpg

Would most certainly think so, it looks like a Morbakka.

Ayesha, you would help DAN's research project if you send those pix to John Lippmann with date and location of shooting the pix.

Thanks for the info Limbo.

Ive read your PM and replied and have sent the pic off accordingly......hope it its some help.

I certainly didnt want to get the close but shooting with my FE meant I was probably closer than I should've been. It was close to 1m in length.

I posted it on our FB page too and got some interesting responses. One from a video company here on Koh Tao who has seen something similar.....

Welcome to Facebook

They believe the distibution of odd creatures to unlikely environments has something to do with vessels taking on water in one place and then releasing it in another......dont know how likely this is ????

Thanks for confirming, limbo.

Regarding ayeshacantrell's query on odd creatures and likelihood; the natural migration of creatures is not uncommon and is part of the normal marine ecosystem.

It is difficult, if not impossible, to speculate about the transport mechanisms of species of jelly fish native to Australia to Thailand; the lack of research on the topic and an abundance of caution on the side of the government and commercial interests vis-a-vis tourism concerns remain a barrier to fact finding.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom