Koh Samui/Phangan/Tao in April 2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why Chumphon?
What are you looking for?
I'm still looking for a tropical island with a nice beach, with excellent diving within a 30 minute boat ride, a shop that knows how to keep to a schedule, lots of good restaurants/ food to choose from and that is affordable. Say in the 80-100 night for decent lodging.
In Thailand Phi Phi probably comes closest to your requirements.

In Thailand Phi Phi probably comes closest to your requirements.

Have you been to Chumphon and dove out of there?

Have you been to Chumphon and dove out of there?
The quest was for excellent diving. There is, with the possible exception of 2 reef sites and a few wrecks in Pattaya, simply nothing that even qualifies as good diving in the Gulf of Thailand.

The quest was for excellent diving. There is, with the possible exception of 2 reef sites and a few wrecks in Pattaya, simply nothing that even qualifies as good diving in the Gulf of Thailand.

Thanks for the confirmation. . . I think. :)

I'm a bit disappointed because the idea of a few weeks in Chumphon had appealed to me.

I've been diving at Koh Tao, so well aware of the whole lot of nothing there except for Sail Rock and Chumphon Pinnacle. I'd hoped to learn different.

The hitch is as I said is excellent diving, I've looked at Lipe but the diving isn't rated as excellent. The island would fit what I l look for but the diving not so much.
We that’s the rub; what’s your definition of excellent?

I’ve been to Koh Tao 5 times, latest last September, and 3 to Koh Lipe, next trip May. There is plenty to see, but if your looking for something different on every dive, dive the cooler waters in the Northern hemisphere. I’ve done nearly 20 dives in the last 2 months and photographed different critters each time, from 2 dive sties.

Thanks for the confirmation. . . I think. :)

I'm a bit disappointed because the idea of a few weeks in Chumphon had appealed to me.

I've been diving at Koh Tao, so well aware of the whole lot of nothing there except for Sail Rock and Chumphon Pinnacle. I'd hoped to learn different.

You never know... you may be the one to open up Chumphon to other diver's eyes. Sometimes seeing things is all timing and given that Chumphon doesn't have much of a reputation, perhaps most people, who do venture there, don't stay long enough.

It took me four visits to Koh Tao to see a Whale Shark, right at Hin Wong Pinnacle, not even going out to Chumphon Pinnacle or Sail Rock. There were two OW students with us who saw it on their fourth OW dives. To them, Koh Tao may be the best place to dive.

We that’s the rub; what’s your definition of excellent?

I’ve been to Koh Tao 5 times, latest last September, and 3 to Koh Lipe, next trip May. There is plenty to see, but if your looking for something different on every dive, dive the cooler waters in the Northern hemisphere. I’ve done nearly 20 dives in the last 2 months and photographed different critters each time, from 2 dive sties.

Why so often?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom