Koh Samui/Phangan/Tao in April 2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lompraya the ferry company sells tickets by bus from airport to ferry pier and the ferry ride for about $35.

o you remember what the fly/ferry package cost? I can't get the Nok Air website to behave (not a good sign for me; if they can't get the website to work, how do they keep their planes flying?).

Their website's working for me. Just from a quick search putting random dates in for Jan, I came up with a price of around US$140 (return) for the flight (including the extra 20kg baggage allowance option), bus transfer & ferry. Nok air are a budget no frills airline but we have used them several times and they are fine for short flights. I'm not aware of any safety issues.
One thing to note is that they are very strict on weight, including carry-on, which is limited to 7kg. It all worked very efficiently for us, even with two young kids in tow. It can seem a little choatic at the Koh Tao pier but it works. Your hotel should be able to provide a pick-up/drop-off service from/to the pier if you let them know when you'll be arriving/leaving.
Nok Air.JPG

Also:
the Lomprayah ferries leave at 7am & 1pm and take around 1.5 hours to Koh Tao.
If you take the Lomprayah/Nok Air package, dont opt for the morning ferry from Koh Tao as you'll just have to wait for the coach to leave from the pier to the airport at 4pm, which is the same coach as you'd get from the afternoon ferry. We were a bit worried about getting to the airport on time to get the flight back to Bangkok but it all works out just fine - its a tiny airport.

As a matter of interest, what are the cost of flights to Koh Samui?

Cheers,
Rob

Btw, we chose the option of staying overnight near the pier (Magic House was great MAGIC HOUSE - Updated 2019 Prices, Guesthouse Reviews, and Photos (Chumphon, Thailand) - TripAdvisor) and got the 7am ferry, which got us to the hotel on Koh Tao nice & early. The issue we had with that was we couldnt get into the room until around noon so had some breakfast & hung around the pool until then. Not a major issue but wouldve been nicer to get into the room straight away, so we'd probably go for the afternoon ferry next time.

Your other option for travel is to fly BKK to Surat Thani (Air Asia) and take the ferry from Don Sak. It’s a longer ferry as it stops at Samui and Phangan, but if you like being out on the water it’s not a terrible trip.

We dived with Crystal Dive in April 2018. Had a good experience with them and my partner did her AOW. Much like a lot of the dive operators on the island, they’re a bit of an OW diver factory but they were professional and safe for us as fun divers. They did double dive morning and afternoon trips and have their own boats. Important to use a dive op with their own boat - a lot of smaller shops will just book space on other boats.

The diving is fairly easy but we had a blast. Sail Rock and Chumpon Pinaccle are great dive sites. We missed Whale Sharks by 20 mins at both sites (twice) but still enjoyed the trip.

New haven divers on Koh Tao one of the original operators and deliberately kept it small and low key rather than create tourist cattle boats.

I first went to Koh Tao in 91 and it breaks my heart as it is unrecognisable when I go back but is still a lovely island

As a matter of interest, what are the cost of flights to Koh Samui?

From BKK, $311-$340 round-trip depending on the time of day. It's attractive because it cuts 2-3 transfers out of the process each way and gets me to an island way faster than the alternatives... and there are 20 flights a day on Bangkok Air.

Thanks to everyone so far.

Other than proximity to Sail Rock and the Full Moon Party, is there any reason to stay on Koh Phangan?

I've been to Koh Tao three times now, and as far as transfers from Bangkok go, overnight train is my favorite. It leaves Bangkok around 8PM, gets to Chumphon station around 5AM, there is a bus transfer to Chumphon pier, and then a ferry to Koh Tao which gets you there by 11AM or so - early enough to make the afternoon dives on the same day. Lomprayah bus can do the same, but you spend the night in a bus seat rather than a reasonably comfortable bunk, and with a plane you need to either overnight near the pier, or get to the island in the afternoon, which means you don't get to dive until the next day.

Back
Top Bottom