Koh Lanta, Thailand - BEEN THERE? JAMESPITTS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RSdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Starting a new thread.

James commented (below) about Koh Lanta and I've wanted to do it for years, but always hung at my gf's in Haad Yai. Got any insight on what it is like or hints on what not to miss (Hin Deang/Muang I suspect). Any clues on saving costs or when the season is best are most appreciated.
King Regards,

Scott

jamespitt once bubbled...
i have perhaps slagged off Koh Tao in this board before, but for good reason.

(...snip...)

plus, in my experience and opinion, i dont rate the diving in KT as one of the best in SE Asia. the best in thailand would be the similians, koh lanta, hin duang, and even phuket and maybe krabi/phi-phi.

peace...
jim

sorry but i havent dived lanta personally but have it on good authority that its pretty good - well better than koh tao.
as with most thai locations, it is possible to just rock up in Lanta and organise yourself from there. just dont go during monsoon season and you'll be ok. hin duang and hin muang are musts though!!!
james

RSdiver once bubbled...
Starting a new thread.

James commented (below) about Koh Lanta and I've wanted to do it for years, but always hung at my gf's in Haad Yai. Got any insight on what it is like or hints on what not to miss (Hin Deang/Muang I suspect). Any clues on saving costs or when the season is best are most appreciated.
King Regards,

Scott

Hey Scott,

any place that you know of near to hat yai that allows good diving??

hmm...besides Krabi,Phuket and Phi Phi..........

Tks!!:wink:

I'll look into it further next month when I go, but on previous trips I've never seen a dive shop in the town. The humorous thing about the city is that it is named "Had Yai" which means "Big Beach" yet it doesn't have a beach.

Perhaps you mean close as in ~2 hour from Had Yai. The town of Trang is where there are dive shops that run trips. The best trips are to Hin Daeng and Hin Muang (red rock, purple rock). Koh Lanta is even closer to the diving than Trang.

It would be nice to find a boat that goes out to "cat and rat" island outside of Songkla.

Back
Top Bottom