Koh Chang or not to Koh Chang (thailand)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clifty

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey everyone..:D

I am heading over to Thailand on my own during the middle of next month, and i am going to do my PADI Open Water Diving Cert and was wondering if anyone could let me know what they thought about this island.

Is it a good/easy to get to location for a first time diver:confused:

Will the issue of visibility be a problem for someone who is just learning?

Can anyone recommend any good Dive Schools to go with, and any good priced accommodation out there? (under 800 baht per night)

I need to be in easy commute back to Bangkok so if there are any other better locations for me to do the Open Water Course, then i would really appreciate the information.

Many thanks:wink:

ko chang is not the best place to learn there r no really good dive sites there. head down to phuket on the west coast where u can get to see everything turtles, whalesharks .mantas u name it its there. send me private message will give u some advice on where to go and who to speak too.

I'm not sure.....no worry...someone will help you....soon
Welcome to :sblogo:
:wave-smil :wave-smil
:chicken:

i lived in thailand and have never dived ko chang. from what i hear it is not great. if i were you buy either a plane ticket to koh samui or phuket from bangkok. its about 50 bucks and they run everyday and are never booked. check out bangkok airways. the west coast is what thailand is famous for but it is not the time of the year for that area. u could still most def do a ow course there though. u would prob be diving king cruiser or shark reef something close. not sure about doing the similians simply because oct is the start of the season and dont know if anyone will be doing runs out there yet. give it a google. as for the east coast u could always fly to samui then take a speed boat to koh tao and stay there for a couple of days to do ur course. koh tao is a pretty cool place and the diving should be ok about this time. pm me for more details about dive schools, shops etc in these areas i have spent a great deal of time in thailand. good luck.

JimLap:
Not sure about schools but a flak vest might not be a bad idea for a bit.

Nonsense! Completely unfounded blather!

Clifty:
Hey everyone..:D

I am heading over to Thailand on my own during the middle of next month, and i am going to do my PADI Open Water Diving Cert and was wondering if anyone could let me know what they thought about this island.

Is it a good/easy to get to location for a first time diver:confused:

Will the issue of visibility be a problem for someone who is just learning?

Can anyone recommend any good Dive Schools to go with, and any good priced accommodation out there? (under 800 baht per night)

I need to be in easy commute back to Bangkok so if there are any other better locations for me to do the Open Water Course, then i would really appreciate the information.

Many thanks:wink:
I've dived the Mu Koh Chang marine park. It's very easy diving, shallow sites. However, the viz isn't as good as it is on the Andaman side, so I was disappointed and most likely will not return. Having said that, in my experience, viz has to be really bad for a student diver to be bothered by it. So if you have your heart set on Koh Chang, go ahead! Lots of students go through their training in the Gulf of Thailand and are thrilled with what they see. They only realize how much better it can be when they come over to the other side of the peninsula to dive from Phuket, Phi-Phi, Lanta, and Khao Lak, to name a few.

Chang isn't hard to get to. You can take a bus from BKK (southern bus terminal) or you can fly on Bangkok Airlines for about $50. From the airport you just take a shuttle van to Chang.

Hey,

Thanks for the replies..

I am actually now deciding not to bother with Ko Chang, and will go to either Phuket, or Ko Tao -

Now i need some advice - which island would suit me best - im 22, Male, and up for having fun, but i dont wanna be in a secluded area, nor be in a busy area, as i wanna be able to get on with learning the theory and actually understanding the whole diving concept and the issues surrounding Diving.

So, which Island would you say would be good for a first timer?

I am just so confused as to where i should start my diving adventure and would love for an experienced view..

Many thanks for your help

Clifty:
Hey,

Thanks for the replies..

I am actually now deciding not to bother with Ko Chang, and will go to either Phuket, or Ko Tao -

Now i need some advice - which island would suit me best - im 22, Male, and up for having fun, but i dont wanna be in a secluded area, nor be in a busy area, as i wanna be able to get on with learning the theory and actually understanding the whole diving concept and the issues surrounding Diving.

So, which Island would you say would be good for a first timer?

I am just so confused as to where i should start my diving adventure and would love for an experienced view..

Many thanks for your help
In the middle of next month Phuket is best for everything you mention with the exception that October is the rainiest month of the year here (it's not like it's constantly raining, but we do get significant downpours). The diving is better here; the island is bigger so that there is more diversity in terms of choice of touristy/secluded/easily-accessible, well-served areas (I'd recommend the town of Kata for you here); it's easier to get here; and did I say the diving is much better?

If rain is a deal-breaker, go to Tao instead. Tao has a reputation for being something of a c-card factory (tons of divers in the water), but you will certainly be able to do some very good con-ed there if you go with a smaller operation rather than the big schools. It's not that the big ops are necessarily deficient in their teaching, but it just stands to reason that if you are in a bigger group you will get less individualized instruction.

id say give tao a try. phuket is not that fun in the rain and i think it is way to touristy. for seclusion and some good fun id check out tao. personally im not a fan of phuket, the only reason i go there is for the similian trips. koh phi phi is my joy. maybe you should check out phi phi. it is only like an hour or two ride on a boat from phuket. boat trips run daily so that should not be a problem. plus you could do your ow cert there too. check it out. post up when you figure out where u wanna go. and ill throw out some good dive operators in the area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom