Ko Tao Health Concern Open Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi, I'm in an Internet cafe in Bangkok right now poking around some of the posts on Thailand. You guys are great. While in Thailand I'd really like to do my open water in Ko Tao and then head over to the full moon party on Ko Phagnan on the 28th. However, I've never dove before and while I consider myself in good health I do have one health concern:

I have allergies, and though I haven't had symptoms for the last month or so I do know that my ears and throat are chronically stuffed up. This flairs up on planes, sometimes the pain can be excruciating. And even snorkeling when I go down more than 2 meters the pressure is uncomfortable. So what should I do? Should I wait until I go back home to do this? Should I try to get checked out by a doctor? Or should I just go down to Ko Tao and talk to the dive instructors? I think I'll hit Dive Asia and Planet Scuba based on recommendations on the board. Any help/info would be much apprciated. Thanks

Since your allergies are affecting your airways and ears, the only way is go to a doctor who knows about diving (sorry I don't know one in Bangkok but maybe somebody else on this forum does) and have him check it out.
If I were you, I would not simply do the course and check 'no' on the Medical Statement allergied question.

Sounds like you'd really need to get a doctor's opinion. There'll be more chances to dive but you only get one set of ears so best not risk messing them up. Let the experts sort you out.

Also if you are given medication to sort of the blocked up nose and throat make sure that they won't have an adverse effect on you in the water. For instance antihistamines can cause drowsiness or contribute to the deterioration in mental function associated with nitrogen narcosis, and decongestants, if they wear off underwater, can result in a reverse block.

Luba, a european doctor based on koh tao down at sairee beach always gave me very good advice, like everyone else on here I seriously would not consider saying no to any question on the health questionnaire you should answer yes too. Apart from the health risk I think you would invalidate any travel insurance you might have.

Koh Tao is very much a diving island but if you like clubbing that's great in the nights and there's some fab beaches to chill out on during the day. Be careful though about the drinking if you've got an 'ent' problem as I think that might aggravate any symptoms.

Let me know if you want any recommendations on accomadation and have a great trip!

Greg Jenkins

thanks for the advice. i guess i might pass on the diving class then because it does seem that this is something that i should get a look at before diving on a rather remote island. i could always try to find a doctor in bangkok or maybe on samui. and dorsett, that doctor you recommended on ko tao, do you have any idea how i could get in touch with him/her? seems like i shouldn't leave this to chance unless i can find a doctor here i really trust. i wish i got this looked at before i went to thailand.

Been hunting around mate, can't find his contact details... if you get there though Luba is based down in sairee beach two doors up from the local 'seven-eleven' store.

hello

You can get ears and throat checked on KT providing it needs no more than a otoscope to check.Otherwise There is a qualified DR on Koh samui DR m THai international hospital.

Dorset boy, Luba is no longer on KOH TAO he has gone off and done more training in Australia and is set to work in Mexico as a diving dr in the coming season.

Cheers Gary :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom