Know when to say when...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HPT3

Reaction score
I want out last weekend on a local dive boat. It was my first dive deeper than 100 fsw. Conditions on the surface were rough. It was pooring down rain with waves from 5 to 8'. Dark dark dark at 112'. I aborted the first dive after 5 minutes or so and didn't even get in the water for the 2nd. I didn't feel so bad, because when I came back, there were 2 guys chummin' and 4 other divers aborted their 2nd dive. One guy wound up on O2. Just a bad day for divin', I guess.

Some people learn faster than others. Good call.
I don't think there is such a thing as a bad day for diving though. Bad locations on a given day, sure, but it is always a good day to dive. :wink:

Joe

It's a bummer calling/aborting a dive but it's also a sign of a smart diver. Dive within your limits. I agree. You made a good call.

I would like to know the crew that took you out in those conditions....or if they came up sudden...didnt call the trip., I sure dont want to ever go with them.

RICHinNC:
I would like to know the crew that took you out in those conditions....or if they came up sudden...didnt call the trip., I sure dont want to ever go with them.
In their defense, the conditions didn't take a turn for the worse until divers were in the water, but you are right. I'm not diving with them again. On the other hand, people have to make a living and I wouldn't want my reputation tarnished because of one bad call, so I'll keep the name on the dive boat to myself.

HPT3:
In their defense, the conditions didn't take a turn for the worse until divers were in the water, but you are right. I'm not diving with them again. On the other hand, people have to make a living and I wouldn't want my reputation tarnished because of one bad call, so I'll keep the name on the dive boat to myself.

im glad you decided not to publically post the dive boats name. to me that would not be fair. "too rough" is a very relative term. rough to you might be mildly uncomfortable to me. i agree they need to make a living. also keep in mind when making this decision the capt must consider that many older wreckers prefer not to call dives at the first sign of bad weather. they would prefer to make a run out and have it proven to them. i respect and admire both your decision not to dive and also not to bad mouth a crew based on one day. hope to see you on a dive soon, weekender.

Back
Top Bottom