Know anything about these trucks???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skierbri10:
I have seen the full size japanese trucks so torn apart in accidents that I wonder how they can pass crash tests. Though the big Dodges I have seen fair very good in accidents. So I cannot give any recommendation other than Dodge and Chevys.

Well, the folks at the IIHS have a much different view. They gave the 2006 Toyota Tundra (pretty much the same since its introduction) and the 2006 Nissan Titan a "Good" for frontal crash and "Acceptable" for rear crash safety. OTOH the GM trucks got a "Marginal" and "Poor" respectively.

While the 2006 Ford and Dodge trucks got good ratings, their previous models didn't.

KOMPRESSOR:
...Is diesel readily available at all gas stations then? If you consider a reduction in fuel consumtion of 10-20%, will that cover the extra cost?...

Most, not all gas stations provide diesel; it is widely available, in general.

Yes, I figure casually that 10-20% fuel economy would cover the extra cost; diesel is at least as expensive as gasoline in the U.S., usually costs more.

I've become more intrigued recently with biodiesel, which is not yet widely available in cities. However, more truck stops on the highways are opening all the time with biodiesel. Prices are apparently higher than regular diesel. And as with Ethanol-included gasoline, there are different blends of biodiesel, presently 10% bio (soybean) and 90% petro. As with Ethanol combinations, the petro percentage is going down all the time.

Bad news is that biodiesel supposedly costs 10% performance. Similarly, I've heard (without definitive proof) that Ethanol combos cost performance, too. That's absolutely denied on the ethanol council's website, BTW.

KOMPRESSOR:
Which full size Nissans and Toyotas did you see? ... In fact, I didn't know they had full size trucks!

Yes, that's back to Rich's original question: Nissan's full-sized truck is the Titan (mid-size is the Frontier); Toyota's full-sized truck is the Tundra.

Some of us remember when Datsun was the only marque on those vehicles. Then there was a conversion period, where first "Nissan" appeared in smaller letters along with "Datsun"; then "Nissan" was in the larger letters, with a smaller "Datsun"; and finally it was only Nissan. And these two trucks from Nissan are the first ever to have specific names by Nissan.

Lets not forget the high mileage that diesels are famous for. with normal care, they will easily run to over 300,000 miles without issue, and I have seen them over the 600,000 mile mark. There is also the trade in value, or private sale market. they routienly command a significantly higher price than their gas powered counterpart. Also, if you have a boat or other trailer to tow, they are born to do just this task, and because of the huge torque that diesel's generate you don't even know there's anything behind you.

Gosh, dbg, you're an effective advocate! I didn't realize consumer diesel vehicles had that sort of longevity. After my first Nissan truck turned 250,000 by only replacing a water pump, starter, that sort of thing, and seeing what Detroit was offering to compete (the silly Chevy small trucks, for instance), that's when I decided I'm a Nissan driver.

How is the overall engineering on your rig? I've gotta tell you, I shopped the mid-sized Dodge Dakota truck between Nissan #2 and Nissan #3, and thought the Dakota interior was cheezy. For instance, the window power controls were not in an armrest, as they are in the Nissan. Rather, they were in the middle of the cloth-upholstered door panel with no support, which would lead to sooner-than-later tearing the whole door panel as one worked the switch. Similarly, the gear shift looked like it wouldn't stand up to fast, hard shifting. Have Dodge worked out that sort of thing?

WaterWayne:
Gosh, dbg, you're an effective advocate! I didn't realize consumer diesel vehicles had that sort of longevity. After my first Nissan truck turned 250,000 by only replacing a water pump, starter, that sort of thing, and seeing what Detroit was offering to compete (the silly Chevy small trucks, for instance), that's when I decided I'm a Nissan driver.

How is the overall engineering on your rig? I've gotta tell you, I shopped the mid-sized Dodge Dakota truck between Nissan #2 and Nissan #3, and thought the Dakota interior was cheezy. For instance, the window power controls were not in an armrest, as they are in the Nissan. Rather, they were in the middle of the cloth-upholstered door panel with no support, which would lead to sooner-than-later tearing the whole door panel as one worked the switch. Similarly, the gear shift looked like it wouldn't stand up to fast, hard shifting. Have Dodge worked out that sort of thing?

I don't know too much about the new Dakota's but when I bought my big truck, I thought they were crappy at best, I could'nt stand to just sit in one. I drove a
tractor trailer for quite a while, and grew pretty fond of the Cummins engines, The last one I drove went to over 1 million miles with only an in frame at 750,000. Im not too sure about the V8 diesels, im a believer in the 6 with low rpms, the way they were designed to run. I like everything about my truck, not because it's a Dodge, (my last truck was a Ford) but because it's a good vehicle. It seems to be well built, extremely comfortable ( I had leather installed with heaters) quiet, solid, it pulls my 4200 lb. boat like I forgot to hook it up. And I like the styling, I have had it for almost 3 years now with no problems at all. I also use it for a work truck, so it gets used for it's intended purpose. I keep it in immaculate condition, and my wife wont hear of taking her new Grand Cherokee when we go on trips, it's the dodge every time. I have nothing bad to say about it at all. But, I bet there are others that disagree with me. Look in my gallery, there's a pic of mine there in the driveway.

RonDawg:
And yes 91 octane unleaded is still available, in fact you can get it just about everywhere than standard 87 is available. Many if not most fuel stations also have "midgrade" 89 for sale.

I have to admit I was more hoping for something like that you had moved up to at least 95 octane these days. Our VW 1,6 FSI should only be run on unleaded 98 octane. We would have to rebuild our cars to make it even run on 87, but it hasn't been available ever.

WaterWayne:
Most, not all gas stations provide diesel; it is widely available, in general.

Yes, I figure casually that 10-20% fuel economy would cover the extra cost; diesel is at least as expensive as gasoline in the U.S., usually costs more.

I've become more intrigued recently with biodiesel, which is not yet widely available in cities. However, more truck stops on the highways are opening all the time with biodiesel. Prices are apparently higher than regular diesel. And as with Ethanol-included gasoline, there are different blends of biodiesel, presently 10% bio (soybean) and 90% petro. As with Ethanol combinations, the petro percentage is going down all the time.

Bad news is that biodiesel supposedly costs 10% performance. Similarly, I've heard (without definitive proof) that Ethanol combos cost performance, too. That's absolutely denied on the ethanol council's website, BTW.

What about LPG? AS mentioned a friend in my village runs his Chevy Avalanche 4x4 Vortec on LPG/propane. Here it is fairly available and much cheaper than gas, and if not available one can run on gas just like normal. A lot of Volvo V70 taxis run on LPG in Oslo, from what I know.

skierbri10:
I have seen too many trucks involved in crashes to buy anything that isnt a nice big American truck. Nissans are some of worst I have seen as well as Toyo's. I have seen the full size japanese trucks so torn apart in accidents that I wonder how they can pass crash tests. Though the big Dodges I have seen fair very good in accidents. So I cannot give any recommendation other than Dodge and Chevys.

Apearances can be decieving. The way to survive an anccident is through dissipation of energy. Ever watch a Formula race car crash? Pieces of the car are stripped away with each impact. Each time a piece tears away that is energy absorbed. By the time the car stops the only thing left is the driver sitting in a composite bathtub. And he walks away. There are a lot of old cars that have been in accidents where the car has very little damage but the occumpants are dead. The car didn't absorb the engergy - the occupants did. When you see a car crumple it is often to the benefit of the passengers because the car is being the cussion. As long as the passenger space is not intruded upon too much it's generally good that the car crumples up.

-Ben M.

-Ben M.

airsix:
Apearances can be decieving. The way to survive an anccident is through dissipation of energy. Ever watch a Formula race car crash? Pieces of the car are stripped away with each impact. Each time a piece tears away that is energy absorbed. By the time the car stops the only thing left is the driver sitting in a composite bathtub. And he walks away. There are a lot of old cars that have been in accidents where the car has very little damage but the occumpants are dead. The car didn't absorb the engergy - the occupants did. When you see a car crumple it is often to the benefit of the passengers because the car is being the cussion. As long as the passenger space is not intruded upon too much it's generally good that the car crumples up.

-Ben M.

-Ben M.

I stronlgy agree with you here Ben! :)
Although when in a front collission with another car, I'd prefer to be in the larger one in many (most) cases. The thing is, and a thought worth, what if the fact that I am driving an oversized truck is what makes an accident fatal for the other part? I wouldn't feel well at all...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom