Knives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Matthews

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
O.K. folks, what about period correct blades? Does everyone go with the all you need are a set of EMT snippers theroy of divers bladed tools?

Well, since no one else will answer I will. Then I got to go walk the dogs.

I have a ScubaPro Stilleto which I wear on my upper arm, when I use it and I also have a Technisub Grissbi knife from USD that is worn on my lower leg. I only use these vintage. My "modern" outfit I carry a fairly large Wenoka in a click scabbard on my left hand waist belt. That way I can draw it out with my right hand and cut any offending critters in to several pieces or scare scuba dudes! I bought it circa 1982. It is pretty big and realy pointy looking and I like it and I don't care what Padi thinks of it! The old Grissbi too. N

The best vintage blade is a USN Mk2, I had one that I removed the pommel & installed a hand guard on & reassembled.
Not rust free, ya needed careful rinsing & drying after dives.
I have one of those ScubaPro Stilletos too, kinda big & pretty useless.
The "Big Chief" folder on a clip is another old favorite.
I have my little Gerber River Shorty on my weight harness - left shoulder strap for the "real" cutting jobs. :wink:

It must be a different Stilleto because mine is fairly small and slender as a knife goes which is why it fits on my upper arm so well. The MK2 is a good unit, I had one of those and lost it a long time ago.
When I was in college the local dive shop was always hooking me up with a salvage job in one of the nearby lakes, rivers. Always no visibility, often deep and with current and fishing line and a few times old ski ropes or seine nets used once for sturgeon I guess when that was legal (assuming it is not now). I used my knife on a number of occasions. It was good also to stick into the bottom to hold me against the current while I rested and pondered upon why it was I was 30 feet down in a river in zero viz looking for some guys fishing rod. That salvaging was not a money maker for sure--most of the time people had no idea where they dropped whatever it was they wanted me to find so you can imagine my success ratio. N

I have a small, slender scuba pro stilleto I bought in 1978 I use. Recently I lost my US Diver Seahawk and have been shopping Ebay to replace it.The stilleto works for small jobs and the Seahawk is handy for sinking UBoats.

I noticed some folks are trying to sell the equivalent of leathermans. How can you operate one with gloves on?

Nemrod:
It must be a different Stilleto because mine is fairly small and slender as a knife goes which is why it fits on my upper arm so well. The MK2 is a good unit, I had one of those and lost it a long time ago.
When I was in college the local dive shop was always hooking me up with a salvage job in one of the nearby lakes, rivers. Always no visibility, often deep and with current and fishing line and a few times old ski ropes or seine nets used once for sturgeon I guess when that was legal (assuming it is not now). I used my knife on a number of occasions. It was good also to stick into the bottom to hold me against the current while I rested and pondered upon why it was I was 30 feet down in a river in zero viz looking for some guys fishing rod. That salvaging was not a money maker for sure--most of the time people had no idea where they dropped whatever it was they wanted me to find so you can imagine my success ratio. N

... It must be a different Stilleto because mine is fairly small and slender ...
OOPS! Mine is a Sportsways, not SP.
http://i13.ebayimg.com/01/i/02/d3/ce/cd_1_b.JPG
Always no visibility, often deep and with current and fishing line and a few times old ski ropes or seine nets ...
That's where the hand guard came in handy, it was like a "Goodman handle" for your knife. :wink:
Guess maybe I should start making the critters, eh? :D

21540vulcan.jpg
I Finally got the period knives I wanted. I now have two US Divers Vulcan knives. For work I use a Wenoka push button lock knife. Now all I want to get is a nice custom vintage looking suit.
Turtleguy

My second dive knife was a faily short (for the period) SP stilletto. I suspect there were a couple different knives with the name and I remember one as being a lot longer with a metal handguard and looking a lot like a sykes-fairburn commando knife. Mean looking but not real practical.

In contrast my stilletto has a relatively thin blade about 5" long that is serrated on one side and has a molded on rubber handle. It is absolutley one of the sharpest and most useful knives I have ever owned and would do doubel duty as a fillet knife in a pinch. Like R.Lee Ermy says about the K-bar "It's sharp, it stays sharp, and it's easy to sharpen". Best dive knife I have ever owned.

My first dive knife was a combination knife and ab iron by Aquacraft that was at least a foot long and weighed at least a pound.

I suspose to be really vintage, a USMC K-bar carried on a military surplus web belt with weights bolted to it would do the trick.

Mike Matthews:
I have a small, slender scuba pro stilleto I bought in 1978 I use. Recently I lost my US Diver Seahawk and have been shopping Ebay to replace it.The stilleto works for small jobs and the Seahawk is handy for sinking UBoats.

I noticed some folks are trying to sell the equivalent of leathermans. How can you operate one with gloves on?

I dive with a Sea Hawk......my favorite dive knife in the world. Carry it mostly for luck and the fact that its the biggest dive knife on the boat....=) I also get to remove lead form my belt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom