Knives and airplanes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mlove

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone had any problems traveling with dive knives in checked baggage, since Sept.11?
I would like to bring my knife with me to Bonaire, but not if it’s going to turn into a headache.

mike

Hi Mike,

We just came back from Freeport Grand Bahama. We drove from Rochester to Miami and then took American Eagle over to Freeport. Just the opposite coming home. The wife and I both had Dive knives, and I had a Buck folder in checked baggage. No problem. We did have to open our bags to remove a coconut on the return trip. No fruit is allowed to leave the country.

It amazed me that bottles of booze are okay for carry-ons. I'd rather go against someone with a knife than a Broken Quart Liquor bottle.

Tavi

Tavi,
So I should be ok with the knife. Glad to hear it, I really did not want to leave it behind.
It’s been a few years since I enjoyed Nassau Royal (liqueur ) from the Bahamas. Thanks for inf.

mike

Mlove.

I travelled with both BA and American to Turks & Caicos a week ago. I phoned both airlines before and was told it would be OK in checked baggage. I had my hold baggage manually checked by BA and x-rayed by American and had no problem with the knife.

Have a good trip, I look forward to your report.

Neil

Originally posted by Tavi
...It amazed me that bottles of booze are okay for carry-ons. I'd rather go against someone with a knife than a Broken Quart Liquor bottle.

you know I never thought of it quite that way....
not that I'd want to tackle anyone with either item if it's being used as a weapon. But think of all the wonderful aroma that would be likely coming from the airplane's hold. I've been on flights where the luggage has been man-handled a bit on the rough side, and luggage pick-up area has smelt like a bar....

Back
Top Bottom