Knife Care

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimbo

Registered
Reaction score
So I did lotso dives this weekend and forgot to dry my new Akona knife between dives.... By the time I unpacked it this morning, it was showing signs of rust. This is supposed to be 420 SS. Help! Do I use emery cloth and a bit of vaseline? Why is this knife showing signs of rust after 8-10 dives? What's up?

and the metal stayed wet too long. Also check to see where the knife was made. A lot of edged tools are made in developing countries and the metal is not of high quality. Even top of theline cutlery makers have introduced lines that are inferior to the products that brought them great reputation worldwide. These lesser lines will get rust spots unless dried immediately. The surface rust should come of easily with a SOS pad or a fine steel wool. Rinse well and dry thoroughly. Make sure the sheath is thoroughly dry before placing the knife back in it.

Hello,

The best thing you can do is rince the knife IMMEDIATELY after the dive or as soon after as you can. Just because it's stainless steel does NOT mean it won't rust.

420 stainless the following properties:
carbon: .15 min.
nickel: 0
chromium: 12.0- 14.0
OTHER:
Mn 1.0MAX S .03MAX
P .04MAX Si 1.0MAX

AMS 5506
ASTM A-176
Density (lb/cu in) .28
RC 53/58

There is a trade off with all metals, you need carbon for it to hold an edge but the more carbon the more it will rust, the less carbon the more resistance it is but harder for it to hold an edge.

You can use an old tooth brush and hot soapy water and scrub it really good, hopefully it'll all come off. If it doesn't you may have to move up to the bigger toys (i've used a dremel tool to polish/clean one of my old dive knives) Your basicaly removing the surface rust so it won't spread.

Knives are somewhat high maintance but there's other dive gear that's even higher maintance. Some knives have removable parts like the handle. If this one can be removed then by all means remove it and start scrubing it.

Remember a wise man once said if you want to keep something in good condition then NEVER put it in saltwater.

Ed

I keep all mine coated with a thin film of silicone grease, keeps the rust away.

ID

Cost more but doens't rust and holds a great edge.

This is what I do to my stainless knife....

Freshwater rinse after each dive session(day)
Blow off/dry and spray with silicone....

Stainless is good but will rust, Titanium is the best bet but cost more.......

Jimbo,

All the above are true! All stainless steels are not created equal and, sadly, once the surface of the steel becomes pitted, it is nearly impossible to stop the rusting without constant maintainance. What IG says will work, though, for you if you clean and dry your knife off everyday and coat it with silicone oil or grease. If you do not have a ready supply of the grease, you can usually get it from a dive shop...use the Sea & Sea camera o-ring grease.

But, you need to remove the rust that is already there first. A Dremel tool will work, but a bench "grinder" with an appropriate buffing wheel and buffing compound works better. (Do not, I repeat, do not use the grinding wheel!)

If you have a buffing wheel, great! If you know someone with access to a machine shop, great. Unless you spend a lot of time with emery paper and crocus cloth, you will not remove the rust and you will have a badly "scarred" knife.

Good luck.

Joewr...who if he lived near you, would be happy to do it for you!

hello,

Well a cheaper method is to epoxy the metal on the knife :wink: Just like the non-military k-bars. This way the ONLY thing that CAN rust is the edge itself, if you keep it sharp you won't have to worry about that.

Ed

That is what I did! Ti is wonderful stuff...does not quite hold an edge the way steel does, but it is good enough and maintainance free! I was afraid that folks would think me a name dropper if I mentioned it, K-D! But you did and I am off the hook! We're gonna get along just fine, K-D, just fine!

And, blacknet, once the rust starts, epoxy will just not do the trick anymore. The epoxy will flake off because even the smallest amount of moisture + air will continue the corrosion process. It is nearly impossible under normal conditions to exclude them.

Joewr...with the foldable Ti knife always at the ready!

Hello,

that's why you coat everything really good and when you sharpen the knife you remove part of the epoxy and metal. works really great for a durable rugged and extreme survival knife. Now the best thing for a 'dive knife' is a box cutter :wink: When the blade gets rusty just throw it away and put a new one on it. The purpose of a 'dive knife' is to remove obstructions like fishing line and the like if you get entangled. Most dive knives on the market today fail to perform well in this task.

Ed

Hey all,

Hmnnn.... where to begin??? First off, carbon makes iron steel, and gives it strength, but not much hardness. Hardness works both ways. It makes a knife harder to sharpen, but more likely to retain its edge while working. Many people complain about a knife not holding its edge, when in actuality they have never put a proper edge on it to begin with. The Chromium that is used in the manufacture of most stainless steels, not only replaces some carbon which is how it inhibits rust, but it also adds hardness to the steel alloy as well. A hard steel is NOT a strong steel. Hard=Brittle!!! The angles for sharpening a stainless steel knife are also different and an aggressive stone must be first employed to get the shape just right. I use four diamond impregnated hones to accomplish all of my knife sharpening, and never ever leave them with a wire edge.

As for the treatment of a knife's surface, please be careful. Most knives are "case hardened" which means that just the outer layer of the steel (alloy) has been hardened by one of various processes (arsenic and heat being the most traditional). This usually means most of the blade has been hardened (where its thin), but not necessarily the underlying body (core) of the knife. If you polish/grind too much you will be exposing the softer alloy. BTW, as hardening makes an alloy more brittle, having the core of the knife not hardened preserves a good bit of its strength.

A better method is to use petroleum jelly per instructions, and then the "neutralizer" that actually bonds with the metal. This will preserve the metal of the knife, and will still inhibit the rusting process. Yes, your knife may have pits in it and not be a show piece. Oh well… you shoulda thought of that way before you took it in diving, Chester. IDs comment about slathering it with any silicone product is good.

As an aside, knives are about the only things that are case hardened. Bolts are NEVER hardened, much less Case Hardened (See the Hard=Brittle note above). Bolts come in various grades, denoted by a number on their head or a series of raised bars. Each grade denotes a certain strength (usually expressed in KIPs), with the higher grade meaning greater strength. Grade 5 bolts are the most common, and most of us have seen the familiar three bars on the head that indicate this grade (don't even ask). Bolts are designed and graded as to their shear strength. Tensile strength is hardly ever a factor.

And, uh Joe... here's that knife you stuck in my back earlier... :tease:

Back
Top Bottom