Knew it would happen eventually

How do you make sure an insta-buddy stays with you?

• Put him/her in the lead, then stay with 'em

Votes: 22 22.7%
  • Use a leash

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • Just keep an eye on 'em

Votes: 60 61.9%
  • Some other method - explained in my post

Votes: 10 10.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I go through a rigorous pre-dive check and plan. If they stay interested, I'll dive with them. I usually offer a friendly tort along the lines of "Don't make me punch you for being one of those clowns that don't pay attention to your surroundings. Oh, and if you catch me being stupid feel free to call the dive." Then there is laughing and a "No worries" retort and we dive. If something goes wrong we chat. If they are not concerned, I become a bit confrontational. I have a wife to go home to and I will not let someone keep me from her by being unconcerned with a problem. If the problem was low key...we debrief and move on. I do not want to fight, I just want to dive safely and try to keep my buddy safe too. I am not afraid of looking like a dick for the sake of safety.

Just gotta say....I am a new diver and without a buddy this season. I did previously dive with a buddy who was very knowledgeable but full of himself. In Key Largo, my first blue water dive, he wouldn't let me check his gear. He insisted I follow him and all would be well. Well...it wasn't. He blow an o-ring on his tank (not a huge deal at 15-20 feet, tank blowing air at an alarming rate...remember I'm very new), I went into "buddy" mode and he kept pushing me away. I got a hold of him finally and gave him air, shut off his tank and started to ascend. He got free and doffed and donned his gear for some strange reason, turned his air back on and ascended. THEN he yelled at me on the surface. The DM was looking at him strangely. I was very sad for a minute because I thought my dive was over. DM was gracious enough to say I could continue near/around the boat. vis 80+ft, sunny, perfect conditions and he also got in the water. So now I am faced with what other adventures a new diver will experience as an instabuddy. I am looking at my LDS for new dive friends....and here of course

Just gotta say....I am a new diver and without a buddy this season. I did previously dive with a buddy who was very knowledgeable but full of himself. In Key Largo, my first blue water dive, he wouldn't let me check his gear. He insisted I follow him and all would be well. Well...it wasn't. He blow an o-ring on his tank (not a huge deal at 15-20 feet, tank blowing air at an alarming rate...remember I'm very new), I went into "buddy" mode and he kept pushing me away. I got a hold of him finally and gave him air, shut off his tank and started to ascend. He got free and doffed and donned his gear for some strange reason, turned his air back on and ascended. THEN he yelled at me on the surface. The DM was looking at him strangely. I was very sad for a minute because I thought my dive was over. DM was gracious enough to say I could continue near/around the boat. vis 80+ft, sunny, perfect conditions and he also got in the water. So now I am faced with what other adventures a new diver will experience as an instabuddy. I am looking at my LDS for new dive friends....and here of course

When your "buddy" started pushing you, you shouldn't do more then offer your alt.(raise your right arm and point to your alternate with your left hand, smile show your cool and in control of yourself- I know that dir's offer their primary, the insta-buddy might have herpies, so I won't do that with strangers!)
Maybe they are panicking! Front on they can be dangerous to YOU! keep a safe distance and try to calm them using with a level palm(LH) waving down signal, offer the Alt reg in your right hand extended, having your left ready to fend off any panicky arms or fists. Remember don't make 2 victims out of a situation.
Safe diving,
Damo'
ps- the insta-buddy wouldn't of gotten away from me in the OP, I watch em like a hawk' and get an affirmative on the dive plan when you both are discussing it- I even use the ok signal and eyeball my buddy to make sure they are cohesive.
Also you should do buddy check looking at the spg while taking a breath from the reg to make sure its fully operational(self check if your solo and check your pony bottle too the same way). If they don't play the game don't dive with em!
BWRAF'
There are old divers and bold divers,
But there is no old, bold divers!

Last edited:
First off, why would you dive with an "insta-buddy"? I wouldn't...

Why not? Too many unknown variables...

What if it makes the boat captian more comfortable, or it is his requirement to dive. Then my answer is still no. Time to find a new boat...

Even if you agree to this, you are still Solo diving in every sense... You are your best source of rescue do not depend on anyone else. There is always the chance that the other diver is well rounded, dependable and rescue trained. This I know, however that cannot be determined right before you jump in. You have not had the opportunity to learn each others gear nor have you had the chance to practice safety skills together...

Being a insta-buddy for a poorly trained diver who experiance's panic underwater can very well get you killed. For what? To make everybody feel better before you get in... Screw them. Sorry I have had a bad experiance with this, it will not happen again.

First off, why would you dive with an "insta-buddy"? I wouldn't...

Why not? Too many unknown variables...

What if it makes the boat captian more comfortable, or it is his requirement to dive. Then my answer is still no. Time to find a new boat...

Even if you agree to this, you are still Solo diving in every sense... You are your best source of rescue do not depend on anyone else. There is always the chance that the other diver is well rounded, dependable and rescue trained. This I know, however that cannot be determined right before you jump in. You have not had the opportunity to learn each others gear nor have you had the chance to practice safety skills together...

Being a insta-buddy for a poorly trained diver who experiance's panic underwater can very well get you killed. For what? To make everybody feel better before you get in... Screw them. Sorry I have had a bad experiance with this, it will not happen again.

I know where your coming from, diving in Thailand you see lots of crazy situations. Some times the number of dives doesn't count for much either- shark panic is always fun to watch! On the other end of the scale, I have also dived with some excellent insta-buddies. It is good for quick learning- witnessing others stuff ups can teach you a lot more quickly. There will be unknown variables in the ocean, I enjoy the spectacle of seeing people sh.themselves, I even laugh into my reg!
Seeing a Titan trigger fish take a quarter sized chunk out of a divers bottom lips is pretty funny when you know the diver provacated the attack.
Still I do use a lot less air on me lonesome.

I would have made that sucka pay for my dive expenses that day.....OR...take something of value from him(yes steal if you have to) for the compensation.

If two people want to have a pre-dive discussion that goes something like, "Well, we'll get in the water together, but we can both go our own way and if we don't end up together, then we don't," that's up to them. But if you agree that you will execute the dive together, you don't take off on somebody.

One of the things I love about the system within which I dive is that we dive as a team. You get in the water together, you come out together. We had a lovely example of that when one of our team had to abort a planned technical dive last Sunday. He wanted to go back alone, so the other three of us could finish our dive. He wasn't allowed to do that -- one of the team accompanied him home. As we were shore diving in an area with kelp, it was definitely the right decision -- but it is part of our ethos, as well.
As usual, TSandM doesn't leave much left to say. :)

Back
Top Bottom