knee woes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

twiggy

Reaction score
I recently had an MRI which revealed a small tear in the cartilage and a "thinned" ACL. I've tried modifying my workout routine to alleviate the pain as much as possible but am always in pain (pretty much tolerable unless multi-day cardio workouts). The doc said I was borderline for a scope and try therapy which I did and am continuing the exercises since then. My question is am I just kidding myself at this point and surgery will be inevitible? Need to make it through the dive season before deciding ;-)
Thanks for any help...

I'm not in the medical field but in today's day and age the recovery period is remarkable. I too had surgery,my shoulder, before you know it you will be better then ever. It's your call............ scuba widow

I'm not a sports med physician, but a new ACL is not as good as your original ACL. If it's only thinned, you're probably better off trying to heal it and strengthen the surrounding muscles.

If the cartilage tear is causing your knee to lock up or causing your knee to give way suddenly (as in dropping to the floor) Then most Family docs would say definitely get it fixed.
If it's not, rehab is worth a try.

Without knowing the details of your workout routine, I can't offer real specific recommendations, but I know that if your workout hurts a lot, you should discuss it with your rehab people and find other cardio and strength building that won't stress the knee that much.
Pain is not only annoying, but it often serves as a warning that what you're doing isn't right for you.

I do know that bicycling and swimming are preferable exercises to running for knee rehab.

Perhaps your rehab routine should include aerobic swimming/snorkeling on your non-diving days? The moderate leg loading that you get from fins instead of "naked foot" flutter kick is a better leg workout, but avoids damaging impact.

Dr Deco makes a good case for avoiding aerobic diving when possible, but I'm sure there's some way to make numerous dives an important part of rehab....

Let's see now, three dives a week minimum..., doctor's order... and warm water is better than cold....

This is getting to be an interesting rehab prescription..

I'm not sure your local HMO would pay for that, but it sounds good to me. Of course, I can always rationalize diving somehow.

If your rehab routine takes you to Bonaire and you need a personal physician for the trip, I might be persuaded....

strictly for medical science purposes, of course...

Yeah, that's the ticket!!

If your boss won't spring for two months' Caribbean rehab, check with your local rehab people to avoid the most painful parts.

If your boss will spring for it, give me a hint where I can send my Resume'and give him my Email address.
Dive painlessly,
John

Twiggy,

I agree with John -- your "original equipment" is usually better than a replacement or surgical repair if the OE is savable. I would suggest giving the therapy/exercise program some time before electing surgery. Once you invade a joint for surgery, it is bever quite the same again (I am a veteran of 2 knee ops).

Good luck.

I opted for 10 years of living without an acl, and am now paying a price for those years. Of course the acl transplant I had 4 weeks ago was not available 10 years ago. My recommendation is to see a good sports medicine doctor (not saying your current doctor isn't good) and get a second opinion. The torn cartledge will need to come out at some point. And if you have a sloppy knee (instable acl) you can do a great deal of damage to the remaining cartledge and bones. In deciding on acl replacement/repair surgery, you will need to evaluate your lifestyle. I never considered my self active (because I don't jog, and do stuff like that). But working with the doctor, I realized I was much more active than I thought, because I hike, hunt, dive, etc. I opted for a patellar tendon bone tendon bone allograft. I highly recommend it, even though the rehab period is very long. I am in my 5th week from surgery and am still not allowed to even swim (and it is making me real cranky). It will be two months before I can swim because between 6 and 8 weeks the graft is at it's weakest point.

Orthoscopic surgery is not that bad. I have had a few cartledge repairs and the recovery time is very quick. Nowdays they have these wonderful anti-inflammatories called Tordol and this wonderful machine called a polar pack so the swelling is kept to a minimum. (I love my polar pack)!!

The graft I have, when complete in a year, will be 175% stronger than my original acl. That will be very cool!! If needed, I would highly recommend this surgery. But only if needed.

ages

1st thing to do is get a second opinion(You're ugly too!!!HAHA-old joke). First you mentioned that you do "cardio-workouts"-any lateral motion is going to strain that ligament-no impact either-avoid all that. Try biking with high RPM and low weight-no lateral motion there. Ice that knee after you are done with your therapy. Don't do multiple workouts in a day. If you are a good athlete it's hard to ease up but it has to be done. Take an antiflammatory-ask your doc. I assume that a "thinned" ACL is a slightly torn ACL. You can heal a slightly torn ACL but a cartilage tear?-I am very skeptical. I assume that you are female since your name is "Twiggy". Hope for the best but surgery these days is amazing.

I am not a doctor-but have lots of experience-6 orthoscopic surguries-received not performed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom