Klein Bonaire vs East side vs North/South side dive question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A boat is the only way to get to Rappel, which in my opinion is the most beautiful dive on Bonaire.
Jeff Davis Memorial and Country Gardens are also boat-only, to the north.
Something Special is not on your list.
Carl's Hill and Ebo's Special on Klein are worth the boat ride. The latter often has a good-sized Nurse shark resting in one of the caverns up shallow.
If you do Bonaire East Coast Diving, try to go to Turtle City. Amazing.
What did you think of Something Special? Is it worth the boat dive?

Sorry guys for bombarding you with questions. This maybe a silly question, on average how many shore dives would you recommend. I am asking to maximize my dive time. I am in a very good shape, go to gym three times a week and do moderate weight lifting and 45 minute cardio.

Thank you!

In MY opinion: Not that special and definitely not worth a boat dive.

Your age and shape, you can easily do 3 dives a day. But as you've been told already - don't overplan. Everyone has their own preferences so don't consider any dive as a MUST. I'll get slammed for this, but to me Salt Pier is like diving a dump and Hilma Hooker is an overcrowded tin can. But most people love those sites so I would never tell you not to try them.

When we dove Something Special there was a pretty wicked current (for Bonaire). That tainted my opinion.

First, Dive Friends Bonaire - I'm soon going on my 8th week on Bon and have used DFB every time. I've nothing but good to say about them. There are now 7 places to grab tanks (I think) up from 5. They are totally friendly and will do their best to make your dives great.

Last trip I needed a crotch strap for my harness. I stopped into their retail shop near Hamlet Oasis on my way out to morning dives. They didn't have one but offered to get one for me. I stopped back on my way to the apartment for lunch just to check and it was waiting.

I'm 71 and I find I'm usually not too tired most days going for 2 shore dives in the morning and coming back to the apartment for lunch and a nap. Then an easy afternoon dive on the house reef (I now stay at Hamlet Oasis - dive shop on site and the HR is Cliff). Maybe another nap, dinner and finally a night dive on the house reef to swim with the tarpon. Early in the trip I might even get five dives a day in, but that's really pushing it.

I tend to stick with 2 morning dives a day that I drive to but having a walk-in dive site makes it easy for impromptu dives. I mix in some snorkling (much less tiring without tanks) and tend to pick easier entries. Sometimes I'll drive to an afternoon dive.

I'm 71 and I find I'm usually not too tired most days going for 2 shore dives in the morning and coming back to the apartment for lunch and a nap. Then an easy afternoon dive on the house reef (I now stay at Hamlet Oasis - dive shop on site and the HR is Cliff). Maybe another nap, dinner and finally a night dive on the house reef to swim with the tarpon. Early in the trip I might even get five dives a day in, but that's really pushing it.
4 + dives a day 71! Thats impressive. Ok that's my new goal. Happy Diving!

Rappel and CG are not on Klein, but rather on Bonaire itself, to the north of Cliff and Small Wall.
Something Special is a shore dive, although like many sites it can also be done from a boat (there is a mooring there). The shallows, and the rock wall at the North end, are the good parts, full of small critters and interestingfish and invertebrates.
Some people like to swim hard, go long distances, see majestic topography and charasmatic megafauna; Bonaire is probably not the place for them.

Just back from BON, and here are some random comments:
- every shore dive we did was great: lots of life, long bottom times
- no apparent issues with crime or theft from trucks, contrary to earlier reports
- had outstanding dive at WIndsock: easy beach entry, lots of life
- did many dives on Buddy reef, including night dive. Convenient, easy ladder entry and exit, rinse tanks. Live healthy reef and long bottom times.
- some of the other shore dives have steeper slopes making exits a challenge to time wave action
- spoke to a woman who had done east coast dives. She loved them, but said there was quite a bit of surge, some current and dives were done from a zodiac
- Salt Pier was having maintenance done and was closed to divers
- we did a few boat dives at Klein Bon sites. In my opinion, they weren't worth the extra time and expense to get there. Every shore dive we did on BON was better than any of the KB dives.

Did anyone say how long Salt Pier will be closed for? I'm going in a month and love that site for a late afternoon dive.

Any of you have any experience with Dive Friends Bonaire? Please comment. They have excellent reviews on Trip Advisor. I did look into their website and looks like the Rappel and Country Garden are not part of Klien Bonaire?
Dive Friends is an outstanding operation and who I use exclusively. Great tank fills and 7 locations on the island to grab tanks from. Rappel and Country Garden are both on Bonaire proper and are part of the northern dive sites, but they are not accessible from shore. They must be done from a boat. Dive Friends has dedicated days that they do boat divs to Klein Bonaire and dedicated days that they do boat dives to the northern dive sites that are inaccessible from shore.

Something Special makes for a very nice and easy night dive. Easy shore entry and exit and lots of stuff to see at night.

Did anyone say how long Salt Pier will be closed for? I'm going in a month and love that site for a late afternoon dive.

I'm not sure when the other poster was specifically there, but I was the week before last (12th-19th). If the poster was there last week, then their info is certainly newer than mine. For our week, there had been a ship in port for a couple days, then it was closed Wed. for repairs then it was open Thursday and boy did people take advantage of that opening. I had loaded tanks the previous night so we could get out early and were the first ones there but by the time we surfaced there was a good 10 trucks parked.

Has anyone been to Bonaire in July and know about the wind situation? I hear winds are rough in July? Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom