Kittiwake cleanup photos 16-October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't been out to see her since the 2nd storm, but one of our staff did, and I don't think that report is accurate. When I last saw her it would have been damn impossible to fall over anymore than it was. The 3 photos the cayman compass showed, the last 2 were from different angles and you can see from the underwater horizon that the last one is rotated somewhat to exaggerate the effect.

I think what actually happened is more sand piled up on her left side.

There was only a few yards from the coral heads on sand chute to the port side of her. When I am next there I will measure.

Wow, she's looking pretty close the the edge... any idea how deep the next level of the seafloor is?

She sits on the top of a slope that goes down at about a 40 degree angle. The bottom of this slope is around 200, where it becomes a sheer ledge.

There's no way it can go down any further, not without breaking apart anyway. She sits between coral heads which would prevent it from sliding down the chute. The aerial photo on the bottom of Divetechs kittiwake page illustrates this pretty well.

Akimbo if I am not mistaken if she goes over the edge the next stop is 6,000 feet give or take a few.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom