Kirby Morgan Superflow vs Apeks TX100 2nd stages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm considering putting together another reg set and am debating between these two regs for my primary 2nd stage (1st stage is already taken care of) I'm currently using a KM superflow (plastic version) and am considering trying out the metal version of it, but with all the good things I keep hearing about Apeks I wanted to keep it in the "running." I like large regs for my primary (bungee backup will be smaller) and have narrowed it down to these two - any comments about how they compare?

btw - Price is about the same for both, so that's not an issue at this point...

Thanks for any insights,

Tim

Tim,

I use both but unfortunately for comparison purposes, the K-M's I have are on an SL-17 and a K-M Bandmask.

I can tell you that I have five of the FST/TX-100 combo's now, and they are g-r-r-r-e-a-t, to paraphrase Tony! :D

I keep them all set up for high O2 content on the basis of ease of use and compatibility, so that I can swap them around.

They are high-flow, easy adjusting, bone-stock reliable regulators. The specs on the units are just outstanding!

Dang, both are good performers, but offhand the KMB will be easier for the "regular guy" to get rebuild parts for.
However, if ya know who to ask, :wink: the Apeks kits may wind up being cheaper, the 2nd stage Apeks kits run for $16, can't recall the KMBs offhand.

Bob3:
Dang, both are good performers, but offhand the KMB will be easier for the "regular guy" to get rebuild parts for.
However, if ya know who to ask, :wink: the Apeks kits may wind up being cheaper, the 2nd stage Apeks kits run for $16, can't recall the KMBs offhand.

Kirby Morgan second stage kits are quite expensive, but they include all the parts that wear, including the diaphragm and exhaust valves so it is hard to compare.

The KM regulator is a real workhorse and yet an excellent breather. Old, proven technology at its best.

I can get rebuild kits for both, the KM is about $50... but as stated includes everything.

Sounds like I won't go wrong with either one.

One reason I like my current KM is because it delivers a gentle, steady stream of air, it doesn't "force" air down my throat like some others I've tried (Dive Rite in particular). So when you say the TX100 is a high flow does that mean it's going to "force" air in, or that it delivers large volumes of air like the KM does?

Also does the Metal body KM come apart as easily as the plastic? I need to open my reg up after most dives to make sure I've gotten all the sand rinsed out well (sandy beach dives mostly)

Thanks for all the comments thus far!

Aloha, Tim

chalk up another vote for the Kirby Morgans. I love mine.

kidspot:
I can get rebuild kits for both, the KM is about $50... but as stated includes everything.

Sounds like I won't go wrong with either one.

One reason I like my current KM is because it delivers a gentle, steady stream of air, it doesn't "force" air down my throat like some others I've tried (Dive Rite in particular). So when you say the TX100 is a high flow does that mean it's going to "force" air in, or that it delivers large volumes of air like the KM does?

Also does the Metal body KM come apart as easily as the plastic? I need to open my reg up after most dives to make sure I've gotten all the sand rinsed out well (sandy beach dives mostly)

Thanks for all the comments thus far!

Aloha, Tim

Hey Tim,
I like my Apeks for Scuba diving, I wish I had a set of KM's as my scuba set, they are quite easy to rebuild and the kit's come with instructions, you will need a repair tool set for them and you can purchase that along with the kits, you can dive that regulator till you retire.
If you ever run across an Abyss explorer it is the same as a KM Reg, pick it up, you can't go wrong.
Dive Safely.

Back
Top Bottom