Kirby Morgan rust

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingOtter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This was after my first dive. About 3 hours searching for a thrown wheel. 10 mins out of the water and she began rusting. Since then the problem only gets worse with each dive. KM has sent my dealer a loaner hat while figure out what is wrong. Also noticed some metal flaking below the comms port. Ill upload better photos later but either way im still really pissed.. 67168_10152161701395655_861167819_n.jpg430126_10152161936610655_1365254545_n.jpg

This happens a lot with stainless. Some moron, probably at the investment casting foundry, uses a grinding or polishing wheel that is “contaminated” with ferrous material. Those tiny particles get imbedded and rust (form iron oxide) which inhibits the formation of the chromium oxide which actually protects stainless itself from rusting. I am not sure if these castings are passivated or not. Passivating will eat away these particles and promotes the formation of the chromium oxide film.

If this is the case, there is probably a production run with the same problem. This is also a warning to others who might want to buff out their hats or other stainless parts. Make sure you use clean and appropriate tools!

Stainless steel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I saw about $30,000 in damage when a laborer took a body grinder to some steel and blew sparks all over some thin-wall stainless hoppers. You could clearly see the red “spray pattern” form within a few days… bummer. Unfortunately, the whole issue isn’t well understood so these things happen way too often.

I would be surprised if KMC doesn’t take care of it, but keep us informed.

KM will fix it but never the less, 6800 dollars plus tax and this is the result. The loaner hat which is a 37 glass shell is waiting at the dealer, however im trying to avoid making the nearly 3 hour round trip. They made mention of replacing the shell but its not only the shell thats rusting. Its happening around the pull pins as well as the locking collar. I also noticed some flaking of metal below the comms port. Im hoping they will give me a whole new hat but im not going to hold my breath..

My buddy dives the SS hat configured like a 37. We've both got a few hundred hours on our hats (mine is a regular fiberglass 37), and his shows no sign of rust at all. Bummer that you had problems.

FWIW, I got the zinc anodes for mine.

Kirby Morgans customer relations absolutely suck. They sent the loaner hat to my dealer who has completely gone beyond their duty to ensure the matter is taken care of immediately. KM was originally going to have the dealer send it directly to me then send my hat back. However, KM now says the dealer needs the hat BEFORE I can take possesion of the loaner. So, 3 hours one way, 6 hours total, fuel, tolls, and a lost day of wages tommorrow will get me my loaner hat. Im truly dumbfounded that KM can treat their customers like this. As far as the anodes go, I have no problem keeping them on 24/7 but I told KM that I refuse to pay for them being that I very rarely do any welding/ burning and if I do its usually in a company hat.

… As far as the anodes go, I have no problem keeping them on 24/7 but I told KM that I refuse to pay for them being that I very rarely do any welding/ burning and if I do its usually in a company hat.

I never found that anodes made any difference with surface rust anyway. Good call.

I never found that anodes made any difference with surface rust anyway. Good call.

True, and it still wouldnt stop the metal from flaking like it is.. If this is going to be the case second go when they replace it Im going to demand a fiberglass hat and compensation for the price difference. I dont like how they said " we can replace the shell but the accessories are going to be the originals " . If my brand new trucks engine blew up, it would be a lemon and I would recieve an entirely different vehicle, not just a new engine. Besides if there is a problem with the shell whats to say the other components arent affected?

A hot Nitric acid bath will remove the iron and also passivate the surface, this is what I do for titanium and aluminum after steel shot peening.

As for the 6 hours of driving, FedEx ground will cost you about as much as, if not less than, the drive when you factor in the tolls and gas etc., never mind your time. See if the dealer or KM will pay for the shipping.

A hot Nitric acid bath will remove the iron and also passivate the surface, this is what I do for titanium and aluminum after steel shot peening.

As for the 6 hours of driving, FedEx ground will cost you about as much as, if not less than, the drive when you factor in the tolls and gas etc., never mind your time. See if the dealer or KM will pay for the shipping.

KM informed the dealer that the hat MUST BE exchanged at the dealer which is why i need to drive there. Any other options would leave me without a hat for an unknown amount of time.

You want service? -trade it in for a Gorski pot hat. Dived one, weighs a ton. Cheap, solid, and easy to modify, though.

-hurts to recommend non-domestic. Hey Connie, wake up!!!

---------- Post Merged at 07:39 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:22 PM ----------

Oh yeah, the guy in the pic will take care of you, eastcoaster...

About Us

---------- Post Merged at 07:51 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:22 PM ----------

Office Hours
Monday Thorough Friday 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM Eastern Standard. Other hours available by appointment. Operators Standing by 24 Hours a Day 7 Days a Week

---------- Post Merged at 07:52 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:22 PM ----------

Hey Chris, free dive for the referral? :D

---------- Post Merged at 08:51 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:22 PM ----------

Free market society, pony up or fade away...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom