Question Kink on ScubaPro HP hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jake 10

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Question. Should I be worry about this? I found this kink on the ScubaPro HP Hose, EN250 , #200501. after this morning dive. Is there something I can put on or add to the hose to limit the bending and support the hose? I will lkeep an eye on it and it does not seem to be leaking while in use.

IMG_E5307[1].JPG

IMG_E5309[1].JPG

Looks like something was either stood on it or it's been folded between heavy equipment.

Would definitely replace it if it were mine. Literally cut it up and throw it away.

Just to make the point, saw someone's LP hose on a bailout cylinder explode underwater. It's staggering how much gas comes out before you turn it off. Will empty a cylinder in a minute or thereabouts! If you're diving with a single cylinder, that's a horrible thing to happen and incredibly violent too.

Edit:
HP hoses have restrictors to slow down gas escaping. Allegedly it takes about 30 mins to empty a cylinder if the HP hose is broken. Some YouTube videos showing the times.

Well it is a high pressure hose so if it explodes it is not going to vent gas that quickly, but if it were my hose... I would replace it as soon as I got back to shore. If it wasn't leaking I would probably finish out the day with it. Not worth the risk or inconvenience of a wasted dive.. bummer the hose looks new.

I am searching online and the SP EN250 is currently going for $87.95 to $99.95

I would replace it, if just for your peace of mind. But, unless it was actually leaking and I was doing a deep dive where gas amount might be critical, I would finish the dive day. Just last week, at the beginning of a dive day, my high pressure hose began doing its best aquarium stone imitation. I finished that 52 minute dive, and a second dive of similar length. By comparison with similar dives, with beginning pressures of 3000 psi on aluminum 80's, the leak cost about 200psi on each dive.

Back
Top Bottom