King's Wharf - Aug 2007

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

quinto

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'll be in Bermuda (King's Wharf) on my honeymoon in August. While my fiancee does not dive (except for a resort dive once), I've been living and diving in Hawaii for the last couple of years.

I am really looking forward to seeing some new things! Please, point me in the right direction as far as dive shops/boats are concerned. Any tips/hints are much appreciated.:)

Cheers!

Hi Quinto.
Kings Wharf is situated in Dockyard and on the western side of Bermuda near Somerset. Fortunately there's a dive shop quite close by called Blue Water Divers (google it). More good news is that August is the height of the summer period and water and air temp will be fantastic.
The bad news is that I think the cruise ships (sounds like you're also arriving on one) mainly use this local dive store for their packages(and the only one to the west of the island), meaning it could be a little cramped. I'd email Mike the owner to ensure a space (it really is going to be full).
If you decide against BWD, then the next nearest dive store is with 'Dive Bermuda', situated in the Fairmont Hamilton Princess Hotel and is a little more expensive but a lot less cramped.
If you are on the cruise ship, then you'll probably be coming into Hamilton to dock. My advice if you can't put up a busy dive boat is to rent some equipment from Elbow Beach (a short distance from Hamilton) and take a few shore dives in. Nearest wreck is the 'Pollockshields' a munitions ship,which is a short swim from the dive store.
As said in the other posts though, car rental isn't allowed in Bermuda meaning you'll have to use a moped (suicide squads) a taxi (could be expensive) or public transport (a pain). If you don't mind using rental equipment, I'd advise leaving your gear at home.
Lemme know if you need any more info.

Hi BDA,

Thanks for your quick and helpful response. I will definitely get in touch with Mike at BWD. In the event that I don't go with the shop, maybe we can get a group together for a morning shore dive?

Aloha,
-quinto

Hi Quinto,

I've actually arranged to help BWD out this season, so probably see you on the boat (small world huh?)

If you decide against the dive store, drop me a line. There's a small group of us that regularly shore dive (mainly on the weekends) and you're welcome to join us.

Regards,

BDA

quinto:
Hi BDA,

Thanks for your quick and helpful response. I will definitely get in touch with Mike at BWD. In the event that I don't go with the shop, maybe we can get a group together for a morning shore dive?

Aloha,
-quinto

Hi!

I'll be one of those "Cruise Ship Divers"

I've been in contact with Charlie, at Dive Bermuda

It's $115.00pp for a 2 tanks. If you book a 2-day, 2-tank package, (and pay in full at least 2 weeks in advance), they will knock off 10%. They take a max of 18 divers on a 40" Newton.

They pick you up at the Waterford Bridge, (~2min taxi ride from Kings Wharf), at 12:30pm, which is what I'm doing the first day.

On day 2, you take a cab to the Fairmont Southampton, (~15 min taxi ride that will cost ~ $20.00...Charlie said to try to catch a cab full of folks headed to Horseshoe Bay and to split the fare to save some $$$) Check-in is at 8:30am and you'll be back on shore by 12:00.

The morning dive from the Fairmont Southhampton is considered more advanced, as the depths will be in the 80' range.

We'll be sailing on the Grandeur of the Seas, in mid-August.

Dive dates will be 8/21 & 8/22

Shoot me a PM, if you'll be in port on the same day, and maybe we can dive together.

Aloha!!

Skinsfan1311:
Hi!

They pick you up at the Waterford Bridge, (~2min taxi ride from Kings Wharf), at 12:30pm, which is what I'm doing the first day.

That's Watford Bridge.

On the second day, may be worth getting a bus as the route goes directly passed the Southampton Princess (will cost about $4). Just remember to get some tokens, as cash isn't accepted.

BDA:
That's Watford Bridge.

On the second day, may be worth getting a bus as the route goes directly passed the Southampton Princess (will cost about $4). Just remember to get some tokens, as cash isn't accepted.

Oops! Thanks for the correction, and the advice!

Isn't Horseshoe Bay close by? If so, I'm sure that plenty of cruisers are headed in that direction, and I should be able to share the cab, and split the cost.

Any advice that you could offer, pertaining to Bermuda would be greatly appreciated. Our group mainly consists of beach bums, and we love to eat!

Thanks, again!

Skinsfan1311:

Isn't Horseshoe Bay close by? If so, I'm sure that plenty of cruisers are headed in that direction, and I should be able to share the cab, and split the cost.

Any advice that you could offer, pertaining to Bermuda would be greatly appreciated. Our group mainly consists of beach bums, and we love to eat!

Thanks, again!

Horseshoe Bay "parking lot" is a short walk from the beach where Dive Bermuda's shop is located.

Skinsfan1311:

Thanks, again!

Horseshoe Bay is "next to" the beach where Dive Bermuda's Southampton shop is located.There is no direct beach connection, due to rock cliffs,etc., but the "parking lots" are next to each other-(there is a fence, with an open pass thru/gate), then it is a short walk to the shop.

enjoy your trip,
Mike

miked:
Horseshoe Bay is "next to" the beach where Dive Bermuda's Southampton shop is located.There is no direct beach connection, due to rock cliffs,etc., but the "parking lots" are next to each other-(there is a fence, with an open pass thru/gate), then it is a short walk to the shop.

enjoy your trip,
Mike

Thanks! I appreciate the info.

Back
Top Bottom