Suggestion Killfiles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
H

HammerNoMore

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I have a couple of suggestions regarding killfiles:

1. I'd like to be able to add a reason the person was killed. After a year+ on the board I've only found a need to kill 3 people but eventually I might need a reminder about why I killed them. i.e.:

XXXX was killed because they are so wrapped up in product XXX that they throw personal abuse at anyone who doesn't agree.

XXXX was killed because they spent 5 messages to post one idea, one word at a time.

XXXX was killed because they are so sensitive they thought someone comenting/expanding on their ideas was a personal attack.

(Yes thes are real examples and are not meant as a personal tirade but rather an example of what I'd like to remind myself of....)

2. I'd like to be able to read posts from killed people without removing them from my list. I.E. I've killed XXXX but I see them respond to a post I am actively following. I'd like to be able to click a link to see the post if I want to. At this point I know I've killed them and shouldn't respond (because I've seen why from number 1) but I'm still interested in seeing the response. I know this goes against typical killfile practice but I'd like the option if I so choose.

James

P.S. I'd also like to point out that when I make a suggestion it is not just an "I want this, I what that" kind of thing. If you guys need any help, I'd be glad to offer it. PHP is not my strong point but I've been a programmer for about 15 years and I've managed to hack a few changes into DCL... If you want some help I'm happy to offer. If you have all the coders you need I'm just suggesting things I think would be beneficial to the board.

Could you use some other word besides 'killed'? :D Do you mean those folks on your ignore list?

Dee:
Could you use some other word besides 'killed'? :D Do you mean those folks on your ignore list?
:) No offence intended. Yes SB uses the term "ignore" but the commonly accepted internet phrase is killed. Or have I fallen behind on my PC terminolgy? Should it be:

raceless genderless inhabitants of the third planet from the star know commonly as the sun who have in some abstract way leaned me toward an inclanation to not be intested in their opinions

:15:

James

I stared reading and my first thought was "No, when I kill people that tick me off the last thing I want to do is leave any evidence sitting around..."

glbirch:
I stared reading and my first thought was "No, when I kill people that tick me off the last thing I want to do is leave any evidence sitting around..."
Yep, I agree. Perhaps we need a "warning" file....

As I said I rarely find the need to kill someone...In general I find disagreements to be a good thing, i.e. a learning experience...

See....just more proof that I'm not a involved in internet phrasology!

James Goddard:
2. I'd like to be able to read posts from killed people without removing them from my list. I.E. I've killed XXXX but I see them respond to a post I am actively following. I'd like to be able to click a link to see the post if I want to. At this point I know I've killed them and shouldn't respond (because I've seen why from number 1) but I'm still interested in seeing the response. I know this goes against typical killfile practice but I'd like the option if I so choose.

That functionality already exists. When you come upon an ignored person in a thread, you see it like the attached image. On the blue bar above the post, to the right, you'll see a "view post" link.

James Goddard:

1. I'd like to be able to add a reason the person was killed. After a year+ on the board I've only found a need to kill 3 people but eventually I might need a reminder about why I killed them. i.e.:

XXXX was killed because they are so wrapped up in product XXX that they throw personal abuse at anyone who doesn't agree.

XXXX was killed because they spent 5 messages to post one idea, one word at a time.

XXXX was killed because they are so sensitive they thought someone comenting/expanding on their ideas was a personal attack.

(Yes thes are real examples and are not meant as a personal tirade but rather an example of what I'd like to remind myself of....)

James

P.S. I'd also like to point out that when I make a suggestion it is not just an "I want this, I what that" kind of thing. If you guys need any help, I'd be glad to offer it. PHP is not my strong point but I've been a programmer for about 15 years and I've managed to hack a few changes into DCL... If you want some help I'm happy to offer. If you have all the coders you need I'm just suggesting things I think would be beneficial to the board.

What James..........you a hit man! LOL

James Goddard:

James

But some times you want to read the drivel to see how big a ass someone can make of themselves, I agree some folk do need a to be in a kill file but mostly due to total stupidity, it's like reading the last dive I hate the book, it gets thrown against the wall I cringe reading it but I do to show a example of bad things happen and how to avoid them.

Spectre:
That functionality already exists. When you come upon an ignored person in a thread, you see it like the attached image. On the blue bar above the post, to the right, you'll see a "view post" link.
Hmm. Never noticed that before. All I ever saw was the remove...thanks for pointing it out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom