Kihei, Lahaina, Wailea or...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kcwdad

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Aloha, all! We could use some guidance on what city to stay in on Maui in August for 8 days. Once that's settled, could also use tips on which LDS, condo and resort.
A bit more background:

- My wife and I want the best diving, while wifey's sister and brother-in-law want to lay around a resort and be all posh. Best diving is more important than best resort, assuming there are at least decent resorts in all the "diving" cities.

- Critters: main determinant for which city is probably where best critter dive sites are concentrated. We are both Advanced certified, last dove Coz 2006. We'd like to see critters we haven't before, but are also a bit spoiled by previous experiences with Cozumel's viz, Bonaire's easy shore diving and Kona's night dives (and viz... and critters... and the DMs @ Jack's Diving Locker!)

- LDS/Convenience: would love short walk to a boat or LDS van to boat. Also prefer full-service LDS (leave gear on boat for next day's dive, they set up tanks, massage, do your taxes... you know, the usual.)

- Minimal boat time, except where awesome diving demands it, e.g. Molokini, Lanai?

- LDS/DMs: In case it goes without saying, DMs that take input on where to dive, with excellent naturalist briefings, help finding critters, let you dive your computers / stay down as long as you want, etc.

- Shore dive: one or two would be fine, but unless there are some great critters you only really see on a shore dive w/ easy car and surface swim access, we're also fine to stick w/ the boat.

- Going into town for nice dinner is great, but we're not night-life types. We'd most likely hang out at sister's posh resort :) But I recall when we stayed at Grand Wailea in 1998 there wasn't really anywhere else to go (no "town") which was fine then (since Grand had everything we needed) but not if we're staying in a condo.

OK, the critical questions:

- Kihei or Lahaina or Wailea... or did I miss an obvious choice?

- With 6-7 total days of diving, should we do Molokini and/or Lanai trips more than once (is it so much "better" than closer sites), or is this a really long/expensive "just do it one day" kind of thing?

- Any great short and/or night dive spots that should influence what city we stay in?

And the bonus questions:

- Any clear LDS choices that pair nicely with a condo or resort location for easy walk/pickup (if not, I can certainly read boards more once I know what city I'm in)

- Any clear choice in "affordable" ($200/night or less) condo offering resort-type amenities (restaurants, nice pool, beach)?

- Any "don't miss this" posh resort ($500/night or less) in Lahaina or Kihei?

Thank you!

I stay at Kamaole Beach Royale (mauikbr.com) and they are very reasonable. Have 1-2-3 bedroom units. Ed Robinsons lets you keep gear on board if you're diving the next day. We dive 13 days in a row - it is wonderful not to have to take it home every day. They are a great group to dive with too.

Aloha, all! We could use some guidance on what city to stay in on Maui in August for 8 days. Once that's settled, could also use tips on which LDS, condo and resort.

LDS suggestions:

South Maui (Kihei/Wailea): Maui Dreams Dive Co. for rentals & tanks or guided shore dives. Mike Severns or Makena Coast Dive Charters for boat operation.

West Maui (Lahaina / Kaanapali): Pacific Dive for rentals & tanks. Hawaiian Rafting Adventures or Extended Horizons for boat operation.

If you're thinking of going to Molokini, definitely drive to Kihei or Maalaea to get on the boat -- better selection of operators, and they're generally better at that site. The opposite is true of Lanai -- drive to Lahaina to get on the boat.

- LDS/Convenience: would love short walk to a boat or LDS van to boat. Also prefer full-service LDS (leave gear on boat for next day's dive, they set up tanks, massage, do your taxes... you know, the usual.)

The "posh" resorts all have their own scuba concessions, but are also generally expensive and cater to the beginner more than the experienced diver.

I'm pretty sure most boat ops will let you leave your gear onboard, as long as you're part of the next charter they have going out.

You'll have a hard time finding a good dive shop that also owns boat(s). There's some that manage other people's boats, and they're pretty good, but it seems a company is either good at retail/shore diving or boat operations, not both.

Minimal boat time, except where awesome diving demands it, e.g. Molokini, Lanai?

Again, see above for where to get on a boat for either of these locations. Molokini is a 15 minute ride from Kihei, Lanai is about 30-45 minutes from Mala Ramp in Lahaina.

LDS/DMs: In case it goes without saying, DMs that take input on where to dive, with excellent naturalist briefings, help finding critters, let you dive your computers / stay down as long as you want, etc.

Already in the above recommendations. :)

Shore dive: one or two would be fine, but unless there are some great critters you only really see on a shore dive w/ easy car and surface swim access, we're also fine to stick w/ the boat.

The big advantage to shore diving in Maui is that you'll see many of the same things as boat diving for a fraction of the cost, and not having to run on someone else's schedule.

The quality boat operations here charge $125-140 for a two-tank charter.

Going into town for nice dinner is great, but we're not night-life types. We'd most likely hang out at sister's posh resort :) But I recall when we stayed at Grand Wailea in 1998 there wasn't really anywhere else to go (no "town") which was fine then (since Grand had everything we needed) but not if we're staying in a condo.

Kihei is pretty close to Wailea -- and there are a few night-life spots, and plenty of places for dinner. Just depends on what you feel like eating. There's also a few restaurants in the Shops at Wailea.

Kihei or Lahaina or Wailea... or did I miss an obvious choice?

only one other obvious choice for resort area: Kaanapali.

There's also condos between Kaanapali and Napili, with a few resorts up at Napili and Kapalua. But you're getting pretty far away from the boat operators at that point.

With 6-7 total days of diving, should we do Molokini and/or Lanai trips more than once (is it so much "better" than closer sites), or is this a really long/expensive "just do it one day" kind of thing?

I've never gotten tired of either of those locations, and there are multiple dive "sites" at each one. You'll be hard pressed to find an operator that will book an AM dive without at least one of the two tanks being *probably* at Molokini. Sometimes both, depending on shore conditions.

Any great short and/or night dive spots that should influence what city we stay in?

Not really. There's nice ones on both sides.

Any clear LDS choices that pair nicely with a condo or resort location for easy walk/pickup (if not, I can certainly read boards more once I know what city I'm in)

Only the scuba concessions at the resorts.

As for pickup / rides to sites... I'm not aware of any that do this actively. It's an issue with vehicle insurance and taxi-licensing. You may find that your resort will run a shuttle that could drop you off at the boat ramp... it's hart to say.

Any clear choice in "affordable" ($200/night or less) condo offering resort-type amenities (restaurants, nice pool, beach)

The Kihei Surfside is nice for this. No restaurant in the building, but one across the parking lot and one the next door down. Both very nice restaurants. Good pool, ocean-front but no beach. And right next door to the Kihei Boat Ramp (i.e. walking distance).

Any "don't miss this" posh resort ($500/night or less) in Lahaina or Kihei?

Kihei and Lahaina don't have much for posh resorts -- that's more left to their nearby resort areas of Wailea and Kaanapali (respectively).

I have no idea on prices, but the Four Seasons in Wailea is the only five-star and five-diamond resort on the island, I'm told. There's some that are one or the other, but that's the only to have secured both ratings.

I'm also told the Grand Wailea is still very nice also.

Hope that helps!

Mahalo, KrisB & RobynJ.

KrisB, great info! So is it fair to say that North and West are equally good bases for diving, i.e. just as many great dive sites a short boat ride from North as West? Or do even the Lahaina-based boats (not going to Lanai) tend to head south toward Molokini (so we should stay in Kihei for shorter rides on average?)

I prefer Kihei. But it's just personal opinion. Over the years I've settled on staying there although I'll head up to the west end for great diving there, I just do shore dives up that end.

I go out with B&B as they do leave nice and early and it allows you to do many other activies while on Maui the same day, or get a buttload of shore dives in after a couple of boat dives. I've sent them dozens of students and customers over the years without a single complaint. Over the years I've also become their friend but that's only normal with Brad and Blesi.

If you need top end Wailea won't dissapoint. I'm a poor dive pro so staying on the cheap is my thing :wink:

KrisB, great info! So is it fair to say that North and West are equally good bases for diving, i.e. just as many great dive sites a short boat ride from North as West? Or do even the Lahaina-based boats (not going to Lanai) tend to head south toward Molokini (so we should stay in Kihei for shorter rides on average?)

Ok, so just so we're speaking the same language (and you understand it when you see others speaking it):

South Maui: Kihei / Wailea / Makena
West Maui: Lahaina / Kaanapali / Kapalua
Central Maui: Kahului / Wailuku
Upcountry: Kula / Makawao / Haiku
East Maui: Hana

Yes, I know that both Kihei-area and Lahaina-area are on the west shores. But this is how things are spoken of, so it just saves everybody some confusion this way. :)

It is reasonably fair to say that both West & South Maui are good bases for diving. Both have similar number of dive shops, dive sites and boat ops.

I'm not aware of as *many* boat dive sites in West Maui, but they do have some that are spectacular, including a short boat ride to Lanai's Cathedrals and the Carthaginian.

South Maui has a bunch of just-beyond-shore-dive distance sites that are neat: the St. Anthony (doable by scooter as well), The Tank & Landing Craft, Haloa Point, Red Hill, etc. and these sites are often dive #2 of the 2-tank dives that most operations do out of Kihei.

I'm aware of one Lahaina-based boat op that heads for Molokini. A long boat ride, that is... similar to going to Lanai from Kihei. You're better off to rent a car for the day (if you're not having one the whole time) to drive down first thing in the morning. I haven't dove with them, but it is difficult to recommend Lahaina Divers based on some of their practices (e.g. standardizing on 72 cu ft. tanks, and what I've been told is "excessive" hand-holding and militaristic dive times) given your experience and a few of the things you've mentioned (e.g. diving your computer & air, not what some schedule says).

The shore diving in West Maui is more likely to have incredible viz, when it's diveable. It's also more likely to have stronger currents (cleaning up the viz) and bigger surf (it's more exposed) than South Maui.

Like Al, I'd sooner take the cheaper route -- get a condo in Kihei, then make a trip or two or three up to the West side to hit up some of their sites if you get bored of South Maui.

Al is doing some extended packing, getting ready for the final move in a few months :) Stuff to get rid of, everything is what I say, nothing is what the wife says.

Thanks for the West/South translation, KrisB. So should I rent a special local compass for any shore diving navigation? :wink:

Kihei Surfside sounds like a winner for us. The sister can stay at the Grand, so just a short drive for us to come poach off their pools and spa (we stayed there once, long before we had money-sponges, er, I mean, kids). We'd at least drive "up West" to Lahaina once or twice to do Lanai and a couple shore dives. If any of you plan to do any West shore diving Aug. 9 to Aug 15 and want some company, give a shout here.

Mahalo again for the great info. Now all I have to do is forget tropical diving and get my head back to work for 7 months (yeah, right!)

My brother used to live in Kihei. He recomended Scuba Shack in Kihei when we were there.
They launched from the Kihei boat launch and we were on Molokini in minutes. I Loved the service and great staff. I'd dive with them again.

My cousin has dove with Ed Robinson and has glowing reviews, I have no personal experience. but based on his recomendation I'd say go for it.

On my stay away from list is Lahaina Divers in Lahaina. I was very unsatisified with them. Booked a 3 day package with them that was to include a night dive at Molokini, that they cancelled, and re routed to a site that was easilly accesible by shore. and the second day we were put on a boat full of discover scuba folks and did 2 boat dives at Mala Warf! Only on the third day did they deliver what was promissed and take us to Lanai.

My brother used to live in Kihei. He recomended Scuba Shack in Kihei when we were there.
They launched from the Kihei boat launch and we were on Molokini in minutes. I Loved the service and great staff. I'd dive with them again.

My cousin has dove with Ed Robinson and has glowing reviews, I have no personal experience. but based on his recomendation I'd say go for it.

On my stay away from list is Lahaina Divers in Lahaina. I was very unsatisified with them. Booked a 3 day package with them that was to include a night dive at Molokini, that they cancelled, and re routed to a site that was easilly accesible by shore. and the second day we were put on a boat full of discover scuba folks and did 2 boat dives at Mala Warf! Only on the third day did they deliver what was promissed and take us to Lanai.
Oddly enough, Scuba Shack and Ed Robinson's are on my "stay away" list, too.

Scuba Shack *can* be good, but depends on who's driving the boat. Valerie is great, but Charlie has some interesting rules... like no peeing in *any* wetsuit (yours or his) and has been known to refuse the second dive to a diver who doesn't obey. They also often have a second charter, so there's a rush to get back to the dock in time for that.

Ed Robinson's group has shown themselves to be cocky and "above the rules" in my experience. Others haven't necessarily seen this, but it may be a cultural gap thing that made me more attuned to seeing it.

Back
Top Bottom