kids regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

htn123

Reaction score
Hi all,
I was looking for some recommendation about kids regulators. Search for "Kid" in this forum and did not get any hit.
My kid is 10 yrs old getting certified in May. Wonder if you all have any comments/recommendation for him.
Thanks,
Charles.

USD Micra is one of the smallest and lightest I can think of

htn123:
Hi all,
I was looking for some recommendation about kids regulators. Search for "Kid" in this forum and did not get any hit.
My kid is 10 yrs old getting certified in May. Wonder if you all have any comments/recommendation for him.
Thanks,
Charles.

Size is not really the issue and almost any reg will work. More important factors to consider with regard to jaw fatigue are hose lenght and mouthpiece design. Make sure the reg has a mouthpiece that fits and then ensure the LP hose to the second stage is the proper lenght. If it is too long or short it will push or pull the reg to the left or right and will require a lot more effort to hold onto it. Kids have smaller frames and smaller BC's and usually need a shorter LP hose.

Oceanic has a whole line of kids gear (Regulator, octo, BC, pressure gauge, etc.) Pretty much the same as we adults use, but a much smaller format, from what I can tell.

check out http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/p_explorers.html

I also saw it for sale in the Divers Discount catalog if you need comparison pricing.

Note: I've never used any of this stuff, so I can't offer a performance/worth opinion.

I've also been told that either DUI or Dive Rite has a kid BC program that allows you to buy a BC and upgrade for free to a larger BC until they are 16 or 17. check into that.

Hope that helps.

-mike

Bought my daughter a Mares R2 Axis when she was 12. She likes it.

DA Aquamaster:
Size is not really the issue...

Yep, that's what my wife says!

If the child is small the Oceanic Explorers regulator is a scaled down version of the alpha 7. If the child is big for his/her age you can just go with an Oceanic Alpha 7 or 8. This regulator performs as good as any of the best, at the price of a good octo. I purchased the Alpha 7 for my 12 year old and he loved it. You can see why by clicking on the link below. Another very good entry level reg is Scubapro's MK2/R190, but it is bigger in size.

http://www.divernet.com/equipment/1202regtest2.htm

http://www.divernet.com/equipment/0401regtest2.htm

Our eight yr old girl is using the dacor viper regs w/shorter hoses. She' in the PADI "scuba ranger" program so when it's time for open water, we'll ditch the viper's and go with an mk10/D400 setup.

Back
Top Bottom