Kick styles vs fin types

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shiprekd

Reaction score
I don't want to start a flame thread :eek:]

I just thought we should try to determine what kicking styles are most prominent with the type of fin. Personally I use the original full "paddle" type fin and not the "split" fins. Let's leave how much air we use out of the equation.

When I'm close to the substrate, I find myself slightly levering one leg over the other and make a kick or downward push with that upper leg (fin over top of other fin), and get very good acceleration and forward movement while not tilling up the bottom. I've tried this with splits and seems I get nowhere, or at least it feels like it. I do like being able to feel how much "kick" I need to determine how much ground I want to cover.

So, in short, With the full paddle fins, I can feel and determine how much power I want to put into the kick. The splits I used, and the technique I used at that time just didn't quite work for my style of propulsion techniques.

I use the frog kick the most part. I use split fins, but the ones I use are extremely stiff and not the softer Apollo fins. I find all the kicks I made with my old jet fins work with the SP twin speed splits.

Allison Finch:
I use the frog kick the most part. I use split fins, but the ones I use are extremely stiff and not the softer Apollo fins. I find all the kicks I made with my old jet fins work with the SP twin speed splits.

This could be a good thread. I'd like to hear some more about what fins are favorites for frog kicking.

Hi Allison, remember me from NC last Aug??? Can you back up with those split fins???
steve

I use the volvo fins because that what my LDS recommends. Right now I use the regular leg stroke for my dives but I am hoping to learn the frog kick.

I'm kind of caught in the middle. I own a pair of Scuba pro jet fins, and a pair of the oceanic V-12's. I find that with the full fin I'll get more thrust but speed is sacrificed and eventualy fatigue sits in I had my knee scoped a while back and a straight legged kick with full fins puts a hurten on me ( literaly) With the V12's fatigue hasn't set in yet
and any kicking configuration works it feels more fluid, due to inpart to the fins don't feel like they are even there. As far as speed, I get much faster times in the 900yrd swim or even a 50yard dash with the splits. And they rock doing a dolphin kick. I havn't been beat yet. I use the full fins now more for work out purposes.

Shiprekd:
When I'm close to the substrate, I find myself slightly levering one leg over the other and make a kick or downward push with that upper leg (fin over top of other fin), and get very good acceleration and forward movement while not tilling up the bottom. I've tried this with splits and seems I get nowhere, or at least it feels like it. I do like being able to feel how much "kick" I need to determine how much ground I want to cover.

I started calling this kick the clamshell kick. When I'm just cruising around, I use this (or the frog kick). Like you, I started using the clamshell with full fins, and with split fins (ScubaPro twin jets) noticed reduced power. However, with the twin jets, if I kick so I "close the shell" more gently it works pretty well. Of course, the acceleration is more gentle too.

Carbon

Oops.. Miss-read..Never mind...

carbon:
I started calling this kick the clamshell kick.

Good name for it...

Presently I use the old US Divers "Blades" (full paddle) with the "old school" kick and obviously, the "clamshell" kick at almost any time I'm not facing into a current. I've grown quite fond of that type of kick. One quick flip and you can change directions in an instant but it doesn't keep a steady pace. To me, it's a relaxing or lazy style of getting around in areas you want to just hang out in.

That actually brings up another question about how you like to dive, do you like to cover alot of territory? or drop to the spot and poke around taking it all in? If you think about it, it makes a big difference on the style fin and kick you use.

I do the frog kick when I'm leasuring around a reef but, I have noticed that if I kick straight legged, smaller kicks with my split fins, I'm a little faster. In otherwords I can keep up with divers and pass them with out a workout, if I wanted to. If I'm doing bigger kicks I feel like I'm getting no where and tiring fast.

I bought the split fins because I was having problems with my calves cramping easily. Even after loading up on banana's, lol.

Back
Top Bottom