Keys Reefs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

laxdiver67

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everybody, I am trying to plan a dive trip somewhere close to home and the keys seem like the place to go. However I am new to diving so the cool wrecks the Duane are a bit deep. The wrecks seem like the main attractions but how are the reefs? How do they compare to the Caribbean? If I can't dive the deep spots is it best to look in a shallower location for the trip?

Thanks

Laxdiver

The Keys are a favorite of mine. There are some good reefs and some shallow wrecks, such as the Benwood, Mikes wreck and the City of Washington. Molasses reef and French Reef are also good dives. You could do all of those and never go below 50 ft.

I'll second the Key Largo recommendation. I dive through Rainbow Reef down there and they're great. I recommend diving the Benwood first during the day, then do it at night. You won't believe what you see, and the Benwood is nearly impossible to get lost on. This helps to reduce any night dive angst you might have.

The Benwood was my first wreck dive a few years back and it's still one of my favorites! Molasses reef, Snappers Ledge and Pickles reef are some of my favorite reefs up there!

Are you kidding me, the shallow reefs are just as good as the wrecks. Concur with Benwood, City of Washington for shallow wrecks. Now, for the reefs. Elbow, French, MO can;t go wrong. Do a guided night dive. Also a little further south. Snappers ledge, Davis reef, crocker reef. Can't beat the keys I go every year. Love it.

I've been snorkeling and diving the upper Keys reefs since the seventies and still haven't grown tired of them. You're going to have a great time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom