Keys Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Narcosiss

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Planning a four day trip down from WPB end ​July or Aug. was thinking of doing two days around marathon to do the Spiegel Grove and Duane wrecks then to Key West and dive 2 days up at Looe Key..Would appreciate any recommendations on some cool lodgings (authentic keys B&B or Boutique style hotel ) in KW and if anyone has any experience renting any boats down there. Ill be diving with a buddy of mine from NY and my wife and daughter dont dive ..reason for the stay in KW rather than Looe Key Dive Resort... Thanks Tom

I am pretty sure you should go to Key Largo/Tavernier for the SG and the Duane. It would be a long drive back up the Key Chain from Marathon. Of course you can dive the Vandenberg off of KW. I, too, am curious about Looe Key. I have heard wonderful things, but never tried it.

I like renting through airbnb. Get a house/condo. Its so much better. I have rented in Duck Key and Islamorada.

Hey Narcosiss,

DiverAmy is correct. Key Largo/Taveriner are the best locations for diving the Spiegel Grove, Duane and Bibb. Tavernier/Islamorada is closer for diving the Wreck of the Eagle.

Key West offers Vandenberg, Joes Tug, and Cayman Salvage, while Marathon offers Thunder Bolt and Looe Key the Aldolphus Bush.

Here is a link that gives you all the information on the wrecks, their locations, and the operators in the area. Florida Keys Diving & Snorkeling - Monroe County Florida Keys Official Tourism Website

BTW Looe Key has a great reef that should not be missed.

Hope this helps.

Good Diving,
Capt Gary

Thanks Gary appreciate the reply .. The tentative plan is to stay up around Islamarada for the first 2 days then down South to do Looe..
Tom

Not sure if you already have experience with them, but I dive with Looe Key Resort quite a bit. They are a nice, laidback boat if you don't require alot of handholding. They do take snorkelers out as well, but I just consider them chum for the the shark dive :) Seriously, Looe Key, especially the west end is very nice with interesting topography. Cap will also grill you up a hot dog between tanks (sometimes sloppy joes) and he'll mix you a margarita for the boat ride back. Did I mention it's a laidback boat. Have fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom