Key West Vacation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

msedivingdoc

Reaction score
Just wanted to know answers to a couple of questions:
1. Where is the best place to dive the S Grove if staying in Key West.... I know I'll have to drive back up, but where?
2. Can you rent doubles anywhere in the keys?
3. Is there any place in Key West that 4 people can find a 2BR 2bath place for under $1500.00 for 6 days?
4. If you have any other general comments to add feel free... we are all in mid 20's and looking to have a great time... please advise on local spots!

The Spiegel Grove is off Key Largo, about 100 miles north of Key West, and at least a 3-4 hour drive from Key West.

You would probably have to stay in Key Largo to dive the Spiegel Grove.

Check out Blue Water Divers for the Spiegel Grove, Brent is great!

www.bluewaterdiver.net

J.

The drive isn't soo bad that you have to stay in Key Largo for that....last time I was down there I managed to drive up in about 1-1.5 hours from the Keys to Kargo with pretty heavy traffic.

We also dove with Blue Water Diver, good bunch of guys.

My general comment is that you will find more things to do in Key Largo and for better prices than at Key West. If you have never been to Largo, that is where I would recommend you go first. Especially if you want to see the Speigel Grove. :)

jedah:
Or maybe you can split your time bw the 2 towns??

J.

Well, problem is i have some that aren't too into the diving aspect! Since i'm going to dive at least twice, I will dive the SG. I just heard that Duval is great and the women folk want to go there.

KW can be had at that price.Try www.vrbo.com .If your budget allows take the ladies to dinner at Latitudes on Sunset Key just before sunset.The Hilton runs the ferry over to the resort and it is an awesome experience.Lunch at Buffet's Burger Bonanza(AKA Margaritaville) is a must.There are about 10 times more things to do in KW for non-divers.Fast Buck Freddies(my source for Godiva chocolates),Hemingway House,The lighthouse,the KW aquarium,Mel Fishers museum,Wyland's galleries not to mention all the historic houses and forts and more shopping than a I-95 outlet mall.
I spend at least a month a year and up to 2 and we still go to KW from the house on Little Torch Key we rent 2 times a week or more for dinner and nightlife after diving all day.

msedivingdoc:
Just wanted to know answers to a couple of questions:
1. Where is the best place to dive the S Grove if staying in Key West.... I know I'll have to drive back up, but where?

Why would you want to dive the SG??? Try going with Conch Repbulic in Tavanier [ just south of Key Largo and much less expensive - have them get you an overnight room ]!
http://www.conchrepublicdivers.com/
Dive the Duane, Bibb and Eagle. All are much better dives the the SG! Oh, and you will need to show your Advanced OW to dive any of the Largo Wrecks. There all at 100' and deeper!

And for Key West - do the Duval Crawl - get some Hurricanes at Fat Tuesday's to go then migrate to Fast Buck Fredies, Wyland, Mel's Museum, Malary Pier Sunset etc etc. Bring plenty of $$$.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom