Key West Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

makologic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey everyone, OW/NITROX diver here. I'll be headed to Key West at the end of June with the family (two teenage boys and my wife), and want to find a good place to take them on a Discover Scuba trip. Hoping there are patch reefs there like Islamorada that we can experience together. I'll probably do a "real" dive trip as well. anyone have suggestions on spots/operators out of Key West? Would be greatly appreciated.

The best hand holding op in Key West is Dive Key West. Other ops tend to be more suited to more experienced divers, leaving you alone to "do your thing". Find someone to take you to Western Sambo, Marker 32, or Sand Key.

Everyone here will hold your hand if the tip is right ;-)

Where on the island are you staying? I know it's a small island, but it does make a difference.

Wife and I will be in Key West this weekend. Only time we have to dive is Sat morning. Capt's Corner has private charter that morning so no can do. Lost Reef only has reef dives Sat morning. We wanted to do the Vandenburg. I guess the reef dives will have to do so I might give Finz a look.

Update: Finz has no availability. Booked with Looe Key Dive Center. The Vandy will have to wait.

Last edited:
as an update to this... we did Key West this weekend. Key West is a fun town, lots to do there. We didn't end up diving with tanks, just didn't have enough time to do everything. We did run our boat out to the reef and snorkeled on Eastern Dry Rocks and near Sand Key reef. Water was very clear on the incoming tide, saw tons of life including reef sharks, nurse sharks, cudas, and lots of reef fish, snappers, and jacks.

I was in Key West this past weekend. Did some snorkeling with the Fury day excursion with the family. It was ok, visibility so-so. Dove with Looe Key on Sat. It's a nice reef, better than what we saw at Key West but viz was also so-so. Saw a huge Goliath cruising along at the end of dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom