Key West Dive Ops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let people who have the experience make and dive their own plan and PLEASE don't limit dives to under an hour if the profile allows it because not every one dives to 130ft on a wreck that starts shallower. :wink:

I honestly ask if a dive op limits time drastically and then ask the person to remember that I asked them and then I come here and check what other people say about the dive op. Unfortunately it's the only way to sometimes avoid getting burned when diving with a new op for you.

If course the only way to avoid the above scenario is to go to Bonaire. :wink:

Last edited:
I just got back from the Keys 3 weeks ago, I went through Capt. corner and it was a disaster! They canceled without notice twice, then when we did go out they basically were throwing people overboard and saying you could do a long dive or get back on and get another tank and kept saying you could do a shallow and then a deep dive or vice versa, never checked c-cards and had one near drowning DM's were worthless.
We were supposed to do a reef and wreck but, they took us to a reef and then said we were doing both dives there.
The conditions were questionable as well, quite a few divers were novice and even on a shallow 30 foot reef they should have not been allowed to dive.
That being said the diving in Largo is better but, nice to be in Key west.

Wow, sounds like a bad experience with Capt. Corner...
Anywho, re: guides.
I've heard from some of the other shops that they're going to require Guides for Open Water divers, but will let Advanced and beyond dive on their own.
From what i've gathered, we won't be doing that. Hire a guide if you want, but otherwise, we expect you to be responsible for your own dive profile and practices. We're all grown up divers, and i think we can handle ourselves. No need for babysitters.
Of course we'll be doing trips all day to the Vandenberg! We'll probably run our second boat as a reef dive/snorkel if people are interested, but in my opinion, i doubt anyone will be interested in the reef when there's a fabulous new wreck to dive!
If anyone else has any suggestions, please, either post them here or PM me. You can also email us at info@subtropic.com. I fully intend to print all this out and present it to the owner of the shop when we sit down to plan out our policies and procedures.
Thanks for all the responses so far!!!!
When the Vandenberg gets here (hopefully Monday, weather permitting), I'll be sure to takes lots of pics and post them!!!

OK, as fas as things I'd like to see re: the V-burg trips.

Double Deeps! It's hard to see something that new and that big on ONE dive! Nothing wrong with a deep dive to explore the deck and a few other spaces, and then pop up and explore shallower, then a nice hour SI, and another dive on it! It seems so multi-level that you can conduct two nice long safe dives on it! (AND if you happen to have some guys that are tech-rated then can do one nice long deco dive on it)

As far as guides? I wouldn't want to be locked into one, as in "you need to dive with the guide" BUT! It's nice to have one that you have the option to dive with, expecialy at first. If a guide KNOWS the highlights of the wreck, and has a good system of navigating the wreck, you can enjoy the dive by not having to remember where you're going....it's a BIG wreck, and it looks like an easy one to get disoriented on since it's so large. (and I'm sure at first, every mooring ball will be locked, so ascending to the wrong boat MAY be an issue!) Just a thought! I know that a few shops are starting to offer guides on every dive as an option, if you want to follow, great, if not, great! But having that option is nice.

And YES! Don't make it a Tuesday only MORNING dive! I HATE having to be at the boat by 7:30am to make an 8:00am departure for the "wreck" dive because you don't go there in the afternoon. I'm on vacation, and the last thing I want to do is get up early. I like the option of diving wrecks in the afternoon up in Key Largo!

I know that some shops are working with that Art To Media company to provide their wreck slates, that's a nice option to offer!

One other thing...a lot of places I've encountered down there only rent AL80's, and on deeper dives, I feel a tad more secure with a larger tank. Consider at least having 100's for use (and enough to go around) AND possibly the option to rent pony bottles (30's or 40's) to sling...The past few trips I've driven down, and brought my own cylinders, but if you have them for rent it would be a good option!

I know this is a stretch, but foot and calf massages on the way back in would be nice!

Anyway re: Captains Corner! WOW! I've never encountered that with them...I've always seen them as a good option down there! (cheaper than most of the other op's as well!)

:rofl3:

I might pay an extra $20 or $30 for a good 30 minute massage on the way back in!

Somehow I doubt that's why Dive Key West raised their prices though. :shakehead:

Wasn't someone busting Capt. Gary's chops a while back because he didn't provide warm towels after dives? :D

I would say massages by bikini clad women, but we all know how KW rolls some days! (It's the only place I've ever found a "press-on" nail in a urinal! :shocked2:)

Not that there's anything WRONG with that!:wink: ($1. to Seinfeld)

I'll agree that perhaps in the past, Key West's dive ops haven't been too hot, from what i've heard. But at Subtropic we've restructured and revamped and now i can assure you, we'll treat you well! Come see us to dive the Vandenberg, and let's see if we can't improve KW's image.
(Sorry if that sounded like advertising- i just have faith in my shop!)
Happy bubbles, everyone!

I'll be giving your op a try the next time I'm down. :thumb:

A press on nail in a urinal???!? LOL love it. only in Key west..
lol ok well i shall consider giving massages on the days i work as a divemaster ;-)
Thanks for all the input guys....the larger tanks idea is a good call, as well as rental pony bottles...i'll definitely run that one past the boss!
i'm looking into the wreck slates as well. i definitely think that's a great idea. The one they made up for the Speigel is really good.
Thanks for the input, guys! Go on and keep it coming! :)
And Queen, i'll see ya when you get here! :)

EDIT:[/B]

It appears that DIVE KEY WEST has already selfishly jacked up their rates. :shakehead:

they've already raised their rates for the dive before the thing is even sunk. :shakehead:

Dive Key West; Key West Scuba Diving Charters, Scuba Dive, Diving, Dive Charters in Key West Florida

Dive Key West - SCUBA DIVER RATE

LOCATIONS | TRIP ONLY | w / TANKS (air) | w / SCUBA PKG. | w / FULL WETSUIT
Reefs| $69.00 | $89.00 | $119.00 | $134.00
Wreck/Night | $79.00 | $99.00 | $129.00 | $144.00
Vandenberg | $99.00 | $119.00 | $149.00| $164.00

Anyone who knows the owner of Dive Key West will not be surprised.

btw..did they figure out if they are doing a medallion like they have for the SG? to help the city recoup the costs?

it would have been so much a better medallion program if they had coined the medallions the way they initally sunk it...

:rofl3:

spiegel_grove_medallion_250250.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom