Key West dive operators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dman

Contributor
Reaction score
Thinking about going to Key West the first week of June (after Memorial Day weekend) to dive and chill. Any suggestions for dive operators? Have been to Big Pine and Key Largo diving but not Key West. How is the diving there?

Key West isn't the best diving, but if you have to balance with other competing agendas (like the wife wanting to shop Duvall St.), I like Key West Diving Society. It's small operation with a boat that probably seats 20 tops. I dove with them last May, and they were willing to go out with only 3 divers on the boat.

Rich

What kind of diving is there in Key West? Have been there plenty of times but never on a dive trip. Is it worth the hassle?

The diving was good in a few spots last year in May, but not good in others. But overall not really impressive, for us the biggest problem was visibility. Apparently the gulf stream had moved to an unusual spot and was causing bad vis. We had to head a long way out to get some decent dives.

One thing to watch out for is parking. The dive outfit we used was over by the Hyatt. Very nice boat, great crew, parking was more expensive than Chicago. My suggestion is check into an outfit within walking distance if you can, or pick your stay near the dive operation. Parking all over Key West is a royal pain.

We are going back to the keys, but we are staying in Key Largo, and I'll drive my wife down to Key West for an afternoon of shopping. She's cool with that so it works for everyone. Also, Key Largo hotels are MUCH cheaper than Key West.

They've had HUGE visibility problems in Key West. Also before the vis went to crap, the diving wasn't near as good as other Keys locations. Take other folks advice, dive elsewhere in the keys.

BTW.. as for parking, SubTropic I was told was the only dive shop that offered "free parking" but you have to park across the street at the park. But they are on the back side of the island, so you end up with a longer boat ride out to the reefs.

As to is Key West worth the hassle to dive in? Nope. Last time I was there (cruise boat stop) I didn't bother to dive.

I did 10 dives with Dive Key West last June, they run a very good operation. At the time, viz was okay and parking at their dock was free. Diving was "okay-to-good" on shallow/medium depth reefs and wrecks. However, I've been to Key Largo since then, and prefer diving in Key Largo to diving in Key West. I don't think Key West is worth the hassle, however, my girlfriend (non-diver) likes the Duval St. thing, so I expect I'll go back at some point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom