Key Largo wreck advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UnixMarine

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I will be spending the a week in Key Largo in March and will be doing the Spiegel and Duane for sure, but am looking for suggestions as to which wrecks are the best to dive on. I will be going with Horizon divers as last time we were out last October they were awesome. I will be diving my Prism and trimix for anything deeper than the spiegel. I appreciate any suggestions and if anyone wants to join me, I'm always up for a buddy or two.

Depends on what you want to do....If you are certified as an advanced wreck diver the sky is the limit on the Spiegel Grove. I use helium in my rebreather for the Spiegel too, especially deep down in the machinery spaces.

Let us know how it works out for you.

I only do lite penetration currently. I did a double dip with OC on the Spiegel last time and I knew I had to come back for more.

I will be spending the a week in Key Largo in March and will be doing the Spiegel
Dude, the guy who responded, @Capt Jim Wyatt has absolutely the most time on the SG... before it was even sunk. He was the Gunnery Officer on her for two years when she was active. He can even show you his favorite toilet! :D See the Grove through a sailor's eyes.

Nice!!

In addition to the SG & the Duane, the Northern Light is a fun wreck at 185'. Horizon Divers, Silent World, & Rainbow Reef are the only ops that dive it with any frequency. And the Vandenberg in Key West is worth a day trip down (2 hrs drIve each way).

Last edited:
Queen of Nassau.The Bibb.Both are not dove as frequently. Be are that current can be real issue at times.

Queen of Nassau.The Bibb.Both are not dove as frequently. Be are that current can be real issue at times.

Queen of Nassau is 285'. Dove alot less frequently by the Tech shops as they have a minimum number of trimix CCR divers to make the run.
Bibb is the sister ship to the Duane and sits on its side about 130' to the sand.

The Eagle about 110' to the sand is in Tavernier, is too far south for Horizon Divers (about 16 miles) but there are 3 shops there that go there frequently, FlaKeys & Conch Republic are the most tech centric.

I got to dive the Spiegel Grove 3x's & the Duane once, with Rainbow Reef Dive Center. From what one of the staff told me, the Duane and Bibb are sister ships, the former upright & the latter on its side, and in his experience the Duane had significantly more fish life than the Bibb. After hearing that from him, I heard the Captain indicate that the Bibb gets interesting after you've done the Duane a few times. This was from 2013, I believe, and I'm telling it to you 2nd hand. Perhaps others would care to comment?

Richard.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom