Key Largo versus West Palm Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

My wife and I are in the middle of our OW classes and will be certified by the end of April. We are looking into taking our first dive trip at the end of May or first of June. We have decided to go to Florida at this point because it seems like the least expensive option. I have been doing a lot of research on the different locations, and I have narrowed my search down to two: Key Largo and West Palm Beach. Now it seems to me that Key Largo might be better for beginners like myself where West Palm Beach has drift diving which might be more difficult considering it will be our first real dive trip. But my instructor has been saying really great things about West Palm Beach and thinks that my wife and I will like it better.

What do you suggest??

Thanks for the help!!!

Flip a coin.

I just dove in Key Largo. Cool shallow dives about 30ft, giving you lots of bottom time. If you go there request to dive Dry Rock and check out Christ In The Abyss. But your other option is probably just as good if your instructor is recommending it.

I would go with whatever is cheaper or more convenient. Eventually you'll get to the other sites.

Cheaper would probably be WPB. Actually, I like the reefs in WPB better than the Keys... but, that's my opinion...

Drift diving can also be termed "Lazy man's diving". The boat drops you.... you dive... the boat picks you up. A great dive charter that would take care of you in WPB is Pura Vida Divers.

There's also great shallow diving in Ft Lauderdale. Great beach diving and some good dive charters. I dove with South Florida Diving HQ in Pompano... and they're pretty good...

Key Largo is better for beginners. The reefs are shallower, and the boats down there have a higher percentage of beginners onboard.

As beginners, it might help to have a dive guide for your first few dives. At first, navigating can be a challenge while getting used to the mechanics of diving. IIRC, Paradise Charters puts a DM in the water.

The Ft Lauderdale / Boynton Beach / WPB area does have some really nice diving. Checking out that area can be a good excuse for a second trip :)

Charlie Allen

I have dove both WPB and Key Largo. In WPB I have used Narcossis, Rampage ( took out by storms last year) and Diving Solutions. They are all great charters fair pricing and put dive guides in the water. The crews are professional all the way. PLEASE HEED THIS REMARK !!!!! ( THE OCEAN IS DYNAMIC ) this means ever changing. I have dove on Breakers, trench, the corridor wrecks when the current was mild and plesent. I have also been when it screams. Tell the DM if you have not dove in drift dives they all all wonderful to assist you and teach you. I dove WPB for my AOW dives and loved every min of it. Oh yea! you have to try the Brass Ring for dinner after a dive. Tridition!

Now as for Key Largo: if dosen't have to be expensive. My wife and I research the Key's for several months and have had a blast on every trip. Just remember the ocean in DYNAMIC. On any day vis can be great or low. Serge can be high or light. and yes even current can be present. Molasses reef and french reef are great with varing depths. I dove the grove twice last summer and was flying like a flag in teh wind on teh ascent line. My frineds just came back from KL and said the grove was tame and vis over 70 ft. In Key LArgo check out Aquanuts and Kelly's by the Bay. Rooms average $100 per night and dives can be purchased for $45 per two tank dive. We have used them and recommend them highly. It is a full service dive resort. Fir my wife and I to stay and dive is $860 for 5 nights and 4 days of 2 tank boat dives Air is included but EAN will cost some extra. We dive with our own tanks and I purchase a fill card from Brian Berry. Cost of 120's were like $10 and 100's were like $8 if i remember right. Excel. places to eat Hobo's was our fav. alot of divers hang out and cut up after dives. Just watch out for the tourist traps. Ask the dive operaters, most meals can be had for 18 to 30 per couple. Of course ther are the fast food joints as well Arby's Wendys Taco Bell Pizza hut. You get the idea. Nothing is as much fun as having pizza and wine with friends as the sun sets after a great day of diving.

Both are great but can be as expensive or as budgeted as you choose and you can't go wrong at either location. Two people can have a great time for around $1200 or you can have a hell of a time for $2000 for a week.

We will be in WPB in May for a week and KL in June for a week.

I wish you and your wife great diving and safe trips.

Kaderdive

For shallow reefs, I would suggest WPB. They are a tad deeper, but not by much and are still very much inside OW limits (most are in 40-50 feet). If you are a new diver, I agree with Al - give Pura Vida a call! If you have a couple of dives under your belt check out Narcosis. I think you will also find that WPB is a little cheaper per dive trip. And as for non-diving activities; WPB is by far the better choice (at least based on my personal experience).

But to be honest - you will have a good time in either place.

Michael

P.S. if you head down to Largo - check out Conch Republic Divers. Gary and Brenda are AWESOME to work with!

doorman907:
Hey everyone,

My wife and I are in the middle of our OW classes and will be certified by the end of April. We are looking into taking our first dive trip at the end of May or first of June. We have decided to go to Florida at this point because it seems like the least expensive option. I have been doing a lot of research on the different locations, and I have narrowed my search down to two: Key Largo and West Palm Beach. Now it seems to me that Key Largo might be better for beginners like myself where West Palm Beach has drift diving which might be more difficult considering it will be our first real dive trip. But my instructor has been saying really great things about West Palm Beach and thinks that my wife and I will like it better.

What do you suggest??

Thanks for the help!!!

I have lived in Florida since 1981. I thought that the Keys are so famous because of the conditions there. After all, the reefs in Miami are weak, and everyone goes to the Keys.

I finally went to the Palm Beach for diving about a year and a half ago. What a surprise! To me, the reefs there are just a notch below the quality of the Bahamas in many places. Plus, on every dive, I would see at least five turtles. No kidding, on every dive.

I also like Pura Vida.

Don't get me wrong, I dive up and down the coast here now. After covering every inch of Miami for years, I look forward to diving new places though I am not into the drive. However, I go to Key Largo for wrecks like the Northern Light, the Duane, the Spiegel Grove, and then down to the Eagle. For reefs, I think that you are better served in Palm Beach County.

Thanks everyone for all of the reply's. We are now leaning toward WPB. We have our OW class tonight and I will have to talk more with my instructor about WPB. Anyone have any suggestions on where to stay? We would prefer something a little low key and for not a lot of money.

One other question. Since we are beginners, if we go diving in WPB on a smaller boat, are we going to make some divers mad by only wanting to go to easier dive sites? Looking at some of the dives in WPB, they seem much deeper than Key Largo. That is my only fear with WPB. I feel like in Key Largo, we will have an easier time doing beginner dives.

doorman907:
I feel like in Key Largo, we will have an easier time doing beginner dives.

This is true and a great reason to go to Key Largo now and WPB after you are no longer a beginner.

doorman907:
Thanks everyone for all of the reply's. We are now leaning toward WPB. We have our OW class tonight and I will have to talk more with my instructor about WPB. Anyone have any suggestions on where to stay? We would prefer something a little low key and for not a lot of money.

One other question. Since we are beginners, if we go diving in WPB on a smaller boat, are we going to make some divers mad by only wanting to go to easier dive sites? Looking at some of the dives in WPB, they seem much deeper than Key Largo. That is my only fear with WPB. I feel like in Key Largo, we will have an easier time doing beginner dives.

Not to P____s any Key concks off but man The Reefs up In WPB Rock! pardon the pun! and I seen more fishes too!!
but the keys got some MEAN LOOKING MORAYS!! so big you could ride em! Man a dift dive is sooooooooooooo easy ! go for it!my 2-cents-oops got to get back to work!
Brad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom