Key Largo/Sea Dwellers/Holiday Inn May 2005

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seagull

Registered
Reaction score
Arranged a dive package for my wife and me with Sea Dwellers Dive Center, staying at the Holiday Inn Key Largo. The Holiday Inn was one of the best kept and cleanest I have ever stayed at, every mourning the staff was out and about sweeping walkways and making sure the pool area was in order. The breakfast buffet that came with our room package was great and our room was just a short walk away from the dive boat.

Day 1: Sunday May 22, 2005

My wife wanted to have a refresher, so we arrived at Sea Dwellers at 8:00 am, did the classroom stuff and had a pool session at the Holiday Inn. We had scheduled the 1:00 pm dive boat and headed out the marina pretty much on time with about 16 divers on board. Had four students on their checkout dive, but they were well organized and instructed on what to do. Still was not too crowded for a large group with the size boat that Sea Dwellers run, plus the crew was very organized and informative.

First dive was on Molasses Reef with just about every anchor ball having a boat tied to it, I guess this would be a common occurrence on a beautiful Sunday afternoon. Temp. 85/water 79, dove for 50 min. at a max. depth of 35 ft. Did see quit a few divers, which seemed to make the marine life a little scarce, but did see a reef and nurse shark. Visibility and current was pretty good at first, then the current picked up during the dive and brought down the vis. some. I think my wife and me were the last ones back in the boat.

Second dive was on French Reef with not as many boats and divers. Current was not bad and with less divers around the marine life was more abundant. Reef was mostly around 25 ft., so had very good light and vis. was ok and we dove for 40 min.

Day 2: Monday May 23, 2005

Scheduled the 9:00 am dive boat and had 12 divers on board.

First dive was on Snapper Ledge, temp. 82/water 79, with calm seas, dove for 45 min. with max depth of 35 ft. With only one anchor ball we had the reef to ourself. Vis. was pretty good with light current and snapper were so thick, they actually hide the reef from view.

Second dive was on Pickle Reef, dove 40 min. with max depth of 30 ft. Saw a good size moray eel near mooring anchor.

Day 3: Tuesday May 24, 2005

Scheduled the 9:00 am dive boat and had 8 divers on board.

First dive was on Christmas Cave, temp. 82/water 79, with choppy seas, dove for 45 min. with max depth of 35 ft. Some swim throughs and ledges, vis. was pretty good with light current.

Second dive was on Turtle Ledge, seas were starting to get rough, dove for 40 min. with max depth of 35 ft. Some divers saw a turtle and lobster, but we did not.

Overall:
Dives were a little shallower than expected, but that was fine with my wife and did not bother me either for this trip. Sea Dwellers crew was great and the captain always explained the layout of the reef and what to look for before we suited up to hit the water.

Nice dive report Seagull, nothing wrong with shallow dives in my opinion. If there is something to see, you get to see it longer.
David

I couldn't help but notice your wife's vintage BCD, and overhear you saying something about your old horse collar BC. I was the other instructor in the pool (with a couple of sunburned open water students). Glad you had a good trip, and got to see a reef shark. Thanks for the excellent report!

Brent,
That was not us, because there was no other instructor at the pool, but they did have someone on the boat one day with a horse collar BC and I did not notice his wife's BC. We did have a great weather, whcih made the trip even better. The weather turned for the worse after our last dive, the wind was real strong through the afternoon and still blowing hard the next mourning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom