Key Largo Info needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sstep5884

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
A couple buddies and I are planning a week long trip in Mid March to Key Largo. We're planning on staying at a campsite and being dive bums for a week. So far the plan is to rent a boat and kind of go wherever the wind takes us. We've got a book full of dive sites around the keys. What are some of your favorites? What are some places to stay away from? Really any and all random advice is greatly appreciated.

Also, if anyone else would like to join us drop me a line too!

I'd rethink your plan for a variety of reasons.

While you can rent a boat - although its not real cheap - and the sites, especially in Key Largo, are fairly well marked - as a new diver, it may not be worth the hassle.

What I would suggest you consider as there are 3 of you, is contact an operator like HMS Minnow, and see what deal you can work with them by commiting to a set number of days on their boat - HMS Minnow, a great operator, is a "6 pack" and you can likely set what sites you dive.

I think you would find this the better way to to go vs renting a boat, and being on your own, as you are not familiar with the waters, sites, and being a new diver tT boot. there are just too many ways you could get in trouble -; that time of year you can enounter rough seas as its the tail end of winter even in the Keys - you are on vacation after all and should do everything possible to maximize your best time possible.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree with Jupiter31 -- as laid back and peaceful as the Keys are, the ocean sometimes doesn't live the "Jimmy Buffett" way. There are some wonderful 6 pack operators who will give you great service for a reasonable fee, and if you commit to them, you may be able to negotiate a better price. My two cents would be Island Venture - a small operation in Largo that treated me extremely well - and were happy, smiley people. When I boarded both days, I was asked where I'd LIKE to go, not told where I was going. It's a husband and wife deal - if you go, tell Ann and Darryl that Steve the Canadian Divemaster says HELLO!

You no doubt are experienced boaters and know how to read the water. And you'll have the appropriate charts and numbers. And have researched Keys boating. Have a great time. Enjoy yourselves. Wish I could go with you. John Pennekamp Park is a good location to rent a boat due to its location, ease of navigation and proximity to good dive site. However, if you find yourselves in need of a charter try HMS Minnow. No better 6-pack in the Keys.

You have got some great advice. Call around to the shops, some are offering some really good deals. Key Largo waters are not forgiving if you don't know the area. Renting may be more trouble than its worth.

We rent if we don't take our boat.
You can figure on around $100 day per person for rental and gas for 3 people.Fills run around $4 for air if you shop around.
With 1 day rentals you can traverse the Keys and get in several areas.There are rentals in KL,Marathon,Big Pine and KW along with a couple more.
Google Keys boat rentals for an idea of what to expect.

Big G - thank you for that link. We are planning a trip with the kids to go dive in Key Largo this summer. We were having a tough time figuring out which dive shops and where to stay. Silent World appears to be exactly what we were looking for. Thanks again. Looking forward to the experience.

Regards,
Bruce

Big G - thank you for that link. We are planning a trip with the kids to go dive in Key Largo this summer. We were having a tough time figuring out which dive shops and where to stay. Silent World appears to be exactly what we were looking for. Thanks again. Looking forward to the experience.

Regards,
Bruce

Big fan as well, just talked to Pat at Silent World yesterday to set up diving and a place to stay....she is great and everyone I've dealt with there in the past has been great.

Big fan as well, just talked to Pat at Silent World yesterday to set up diving and a place to stay....she is great and everyone I've dealt with there in the past has been great.

Well, thank you! :) I'm almost blushing---no wait I think it's a wind burn!

I just try to treat and welcome others the way I would like to be welcomed! And of course....I get to make scuba friends and dive buddies!

Pat

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom