Key Largo in March no buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mweaver40

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Florida divers. I plan to dive down in Key Largo in March 20 - 22 but unfortunately I have no buddy. This is my first time diving in the keys and I don't really know what to expect if I show up by myself at the shop and tell them I want to go dive. I don't want or need to pay for a DM to go in with me. Other than being directionally challenged (poor navigator) I am a generally competent rec diver. I am thinking about either Conch Republic or Silent World but other suggestions are welcome. Anybody have experience showing up solo with these ops and having the crew help you buddy up with someone or another buddy team? I would like to get in about 10 dives and do some of the wrecks around there. Since I only have 3 days I will be trying to use it to the max.

Thanks

I've gone solo to Conch Republic Divers several times. You just need to find a buddy on the boat or tag along with others. No problem. If you are diving the deep wrecks make sure you have a buddy who is exeperienced.

Have fun!

Sometimes I go to the keys with friends, other times solo: I've never had an issue hooking up with someone on the boat to buddy up with: especially on shallow dives where your likely to run out of time long before anyone runs out of gas. I just try to scope out anyone that appears to have similar diving style as myself and hook up that diver or group of divers. The only time I've ever had an 'issue' with buddies is on deeper dives. I bring my own tanks (120 c.f.) and redundant pony bottle and when I've pulled the DM aside and indicated I planned to stay down longer than the rest of the divers, the DM was OK with that as long as my buddy was comfortable coming up solo or with rejoining other divers underwater as they came up the mooring line.

Both of the dive ops you noted are top notch in my estimation.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback. I called both shops and they both seemed OK with it. Silent World even said solo diving was OK with them as long as you were experienced. I won't be doing any solo deep diving since the gear I am taking with me is strictly non redundant rec gear but if the reefs are as shallow as you say I might try a dive or so solo on them. Hopefully I can find somebody to tag along with for the wrecks.
Thanks again

Contact Key Largo Dive Center! You could dive with mselenaous, here on the board . . They have specials during the week, too!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom