Key Largo in August - water temp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

themilnes

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello lovely people

After loads of you provided helpful advice and thoughts regarding where to go diving with our newly qualified sons, we've booked to visit Key Largo in August. Yaaayyyyy! (Slightly excited!)

I was just wondering what wet suits you'd recommend? The kids currently have 2/3mm full suits and I have a 3mm shortie. Will those be comfortable for that time of year? I'm guessing/hoping the water will be pretty warm?

Thanks! :D

Water should be in the mid 80s. Last year, I was comfortable in a bikini for 8 dives over 4 days. This year I might bring a 3mm, lavacore, and some other layer for warmth for the same conditions. I get cold quickly now.

Last edited:
I dive in the Keys in a full lycra skin that time of the year. I don't need the thermal protection just a little something for the jellies (especially the ones that go through the props) and fire coral around the bulkheads. YMMV, thermal protection is a very personal thing. :)

Thanks for the info - mid 80s sounds like bliss!
Good to know about the jellies...I might get a full-length suit...

A shorty should be warm enough, but sting and especially sun protection is probably more of an issue. A full Lycra suit including hood under the shorty will provide excellent coverage.

We offer a complete package of pants top and hood. Check out my site if interested.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom