Key Largo diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

idratherbedivin

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am going to Key Largo in about a week and will be doing my AOW and enriched air certs. My family is coming with me and my dad and brother are not certified divers. Are there any good snorkling spots I should know about, and do some shops offer SNUBA for 9 year olds? My brother would love to go underwater because he hears me talk about it all the time and can't wait till he can get certified. My mom and sister won't be taking any classes but are certified and would like to dive a decent amount. What are some good dive sites for newly certified divers? Last, how are the conditions down there? Any responses are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

WhitmanDive:
I am going to Key Largo in about a week and will be doing my AOW and enriched air certs. My family is coming with me and my dad and brother are not certified divers. Are there any good snorkling spots I should know about, and do some shops offer SNUBA for 9 year olds? My brother would love to go underwater because he hears me talk about it all the time and can't wait till he can get certified. My mom and sister won't be taking any classes but are certified and would like to dive a decent amount. What are some good dive sites for newly certified divers? Last, how are the conditions down there? Any responses are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I think they are great for experienced divers as well! :D

There is no good snorkeling without getting on a boat. However there are plenty of boats that run snorkel charters. They are generally much less expensive vs. the scuba charters, and may even be on the same boat with divers. Dry Rocks is a great place for snorkelers as the reefs are often just a few feet below the surface. There are many other choices as well.

Basically most any reef you dive off of Largo is going to be a good dive for the newer diver. Many of the reefs hit depths greater than 60fsw, but in general most ops don't put divers down at those deeper areas.

I'd highly recomend the Benwood as a wreck that a new diver can do. It's around 45fsw if memory serves, and is a lovely wreck from the 1800's with a lot of life on and around it.

Enjoy the Keys, I really do! :D

The conditions this week have been wonderful for diving in Key Largo!!! The seas have been calm (maybe 2 ft rollers at the most) and the water is warming nicely!!

Good luck with your AOW!

Pat

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom