Key Largo Diving Sites??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my experience, the Spiegel Grove can be good for goliath grouper and bull shark sightings. I've also seen free swimming eels on it too. But then again, I like all the wrecks noted by Adiron.

From a reef perspective, I like Hens and Chickens better than most of the shallow reefs if the near shore visibility is good. It has decent fish life but what I really like is the almost other-worldly reef structure. Its unique.

My son and I dove in Key Largo last summer. We had a lot of fun, but before you get your hopes up for the deep wrecks, you may want to check with the dive operators. My son was fresh off his open water certification (less than 20 dives) and they would not take him to dives over 60'...so none of the deeper wrecks for us. I didn't mind as it gave him incentive to get started on his AOW.

Maybe someone else can chime in that knows the rules?

Horizon Divers allows OW Divers to do wrecks as long as there is a Guide with them (you have to pay for the Guide).

Horizon divers doesn't require proof of recent dives in either a logbook or a signed waiver stating the last deep dive was to at least 80' during the past 6 months?

I was certified on Wednesday for Open Water then did the Spiegel Grove that Friday. So I didn't have a logbook or a deep dive of 80'.

I guess they're willing to make an exception since they just OW certified you and were aware of your abilities. Impressive.

Not to be narcissistic or come off arrogant or cocky, the Instructors said they were very comfortable with me being in the water during all my dives. I hope I didn't speak out of turn on my experience with Horizon Divers. They were very good Instructors and very professional. I hope my previous posts didn't make them seem like they were just letting just ANYONE go down to Spiegel Grove.

Any feed back on pcwatersports?
The key largo Marriott scuba operation used to be run be ocean divers until a month ago. It’s now pcwatersports. Suzi is getting everything up and running. It looks like you need to ring them fir their boat schedules and to sign up.

I’m also headed to the Marriott in a month or so. So I’m researching the heck out of which operator to usey feedback on pcwatersports ?

Any feed back on pcwatersports?
Not sure which Marriot uses pcwatersport and since there are two in Key Largo it's the one I haven't stayed at. I have always used the dive shop Rainbow Reef . They have dive packages that include a room in the Marriot right by them.

If you have already booked with RR, they likely have you assigned to boats for your dives. If you have already received a confirmation email, I would look there for boat assignments and give the office a call to see which sites you are scheduled for (always subject to change given conditions).

Snapper Ledge is always a winner, its a shallow ledge that sits in about 30 feet of water, usually minimal to no current. Lots of marine life, almost always eel and nurse shark sightings.

Pickles Reef is a very shallow reef, but usually has good visibility, and if you are photographer is great based on the amount of natural light. It's also a common spot for the restoration group to do coral outplanting, so you can see some juvenile coral that is beginning to grow.

As mentioned above, Molasses is a great all around reef. There are some ledges in the 30-35 foot range, and with the warmer September water there is the possibility of seeing more pelagic species in the deeper areas. There are plenty of other sites that are relatively shallow coral fingers with sand channels in between. If you've never been, Winch Hole and Hole in the Wall are cool spots.

French Reef is nice because of some of its unique coral structure. There are LOTS of swim throughs, and the coral there is a bit different that the typical "spur and groove" you'll find most of the other places. Visibility and current can be less favorable here than other sites, but still an enjoyable dive.

The wreck of the Benwood is a great wreck if you are looking for abundancy and diversity of fish. It's not so much of a wreck as it is wreckage at this point, and maximum depth is around 35-40 feet. Tons of fish, and almost always turtles hanging out. It is a popular spot for night dives, mainly because of all the turtles that come to rest there.

Personally, Christ Statue, Grecian Rocks, and the northern reefs aren't as great. But that's just my opinion. Hope this helps, and maybe I'll see ya!

This is great info, thank you so much!!
If you have already booked with RR, they likely have you assigned to boats for your dives. If you have already received a confirmation email, I would look there for boat assignments and give the office a call to see which sites you are scheduled for (always subject to change given conditions).

Snapper Ledge is always a winner, its a shallow ledge that sits in about 30 feet of water, usually minimal to no current. Lots of marine life, almost always eel and nurse shark sightings.

Pickles Reef is a very shallow reef, but usually has good visibility, and if you are photographer is great based on the amount of natural light. It's also a common spot for the restoration group to do coral outplanting, so you can see some juvenile coral that is beginning to grow.

As mentioned above, Molasses is a great all around reef. There are some ledges in the 30-35 foot range, and with the warmer September water there is the possibility of seeing more pelagic species in the deeper areas. There are plenty of other sites that are relatively shallow coral fingers with sand channels in between. If you've never been, Winch Hole and Hole in the Wall are cool spots.

French Reef is nice because of some of its unique coral structure. There are LOTS of swim throughs, and the coral there is a bit different that the typical "spur and groove" you'll find most of the other places. Visibility and current can be less favorable here than other sites, but still an enjoyable dive.

The wreck of the Benwood is a great wreck if you are looking for abundancy and diversity of fish. It's not so much of a wreck as it is wreckage at this point, and maximum depth is around 35-40 feet. Tons of fish, and almost always turtles hanging out. It is a popular spot for night dives, mainly because of all the turtles that come to rest there.

Personally, Christ Statue, Grecian Rocks, and the northern reefs aren't as great. But that's just my opinion. Hope this helps, and maybe I'll see ya!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom