Review Key Largo Diving on Rainbow Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove with RR fairly recently and on every dive I thought it was pretty clear the guide was optional . The Captains always clearly gave instructions for people not diving with the guides. I wonder if there was something about the crew or conditions that day

My experiences have all been good with RR but haven't been there in a few years. Going back in June. The current is what the current is. Why were you on 120's? So long I didn't go through the whole thing....

Note: Unless things have changed, going with their guides is NOT mandatory. We never go with the groups, just drop and go off on our own, but let them know topside of course. If you're on your own, you can get out of the cattle. Sure it's more crowded than bonaire but it's not terrible once you get away on your own.

Just judging by the way this is written, I'm going to assume there was probably fault on both sides in some way shape or form.

I guess I'll find out in June.

It could have been a mix of things. It's literally the worst dive experience I have ever had on a charter. As the paying customer, that's what should matter the most. Sure, put part of the blame on me, but I'll likely never dive this charter again. Their boat, their rules. My money, my choice.

Why were you on 120's? So long I didn't go through the whole thing....
Because I own and dive my own gear. A better question is, why would I go to 100ft with an aluminum 80 on air?

Ditto.

For me - Horizon does much better job than RR. I do understand DM's challenges and responsibilities on the dive, but I never had a pleasant experience with RR (5 or 6 trips).

Overall my best experience by far in the upper keys was with Horizon and Keys Dives.
Same here....Key Dives has been good to us and we have used them on multiple occasions. We even took the kids down there for the coral restoration dive. Kids loved it and learned something to boot!

As someone who dives frequently in the upper keys a lil bit of an eyewitness report
The elkhorn and staghorn corals that were planted suffered the most and a majority did not recover
The crf has now transitioned to mountain and star coral for plantings
The bleached reefs have recovered and the fish population is still impressive and thick
Multiple shark and turtle sightings on almost all dives
Stoney coral was horrible as it is all over
The death of the keys reefs makes for exciting news articles though
My 2 cents

As someone who dives frequently in the upper keys a lil bit of an eyewitness report
The elkhorn and staghorn corals that were planted suffered the most and a majority did not recover
The crf has now transitioned to mountain and star coral for plantings
The bleached reefs have recovered and the fish population is still impressive and thick
Multiple shark and turtle sightings on almost all dives
Stoney coral was horrible as it is all over
The death of the keys reefs makes for exciting news articles though
My 2 cents
It could have just been the dive sites we visited, but they were devoid of life and corals.

To the original poster Mr Chen.
You put it very nicely. I would not dive with them again if they were the last boat available and free.
Conch Republic caters to all levels. They are far superior but if you want a guide it is extra. Try them out.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom