Key Largo Dive Trip Report - May 26 - May 29, 2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BrianOrange

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey everyone -

Quick dive trip/report from 6 dives last week in Key Largo. Good weather, solid viz and a fun time.

I dove with the Key Largo Scuba Shack and Conch Republic Divers. First a quick primer on each.

The Scuba Shack was very personable and I liked the fact they put a dive guide in the water on each dive (an instant insta-buddy for me as I often come alone). They did a real good job of keeping us on schedule despite a storm that rolled in right as we got onto the boat. Would recommend.

Conch Republic is a larger outfit but really, really good. EVERYTHING is right there at the dock for you -- check in, store, bathroom, showers, boat. A perfect set up. Their larger boat is the best one I've been on in the Keys (spacious, two after dive shower rinse offs, etc). They are a little further down in the Keys so I felt they gave me a few more options dive site wise I wasn't used to getting from the boats in Key Largo. Would recommend.

As for the diving, it was good. Viz was down on the first day due to a storm that passed by but overall I was happy.

Two sites that I had not been to that were really impressive to me were Snapper Ledge and Conch Reef. Snapper Ledge was teeming with fish, the most I've seen on one site in a while. Nurse Sharks, stingrays, eels, lobster, schools of fish you could swim through. A great site. On the other hand, I was a bit disappointed with the lack of life on Molasses Reef.

All in all a fun 6 dives. Hope to be in Largo again soon.

We leave for the Keys on Saturday. Can't wait. We are doing 4 dives with Scuba Shack on Tuesday. Glad to hear you would recommend them. We are staying just north of Marathon so may dive from our boat on Sombrero while the teens snorkel. Hope the seas aren't as rough as predicted.

We leave 2 weeks from Saturday to dive with Key Largo Scuba Shack... can't wait....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom