Key Largo Dive Report 5/23/06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeepbrew

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Today we dove with the Silent World crew and had another good day of diving.

Dive #1 Spiegel Grove:

We tied off the boat and dove down to the bow of the Spiegel Grove. We then made our way down the port side of the ship, going in and out of a few doors/hallways along the way. We also saw a huge 300+ lb Goliath Grouper (aka Jew Fish) while exiting one of the doors. We then crossed over the loading dock near the back of the ship. As we swam up the starboard side, we saw a couple of barracuda as well as another Jew Fish. Once we made our way to the bow again, I dropped down the side a little just so I could hit 100', and then we continued playing in the open doors/hallways. We then slowly made our way up to 15ft, did a full 5 min safety stop, and hopped back on the boat with 600 lbs of air left in the tank.

The air temp was 82 degrees and so was the surface. The bottom temp was 78. There were only 1-2 ft waves, no real current to speak of, and the viz was well over 60 ft, so all in all, it was an awesome dive. We only had about 24 mins of bottom time, so the next dive on the Grove I hope to stretch that out to closer to 30 mins.

Dive #2 Grecien Rocks:

This was an okay dive, but compared to the Grove it paled in comparison. We did see tons (20+) lobster hiding under rocks and ledges, as well as a few crabs. We also ran into another pair of barracuda and about a million tropical fish. Other than that, it was a nice shallow reef dive.

Air temp of 84. Water was 82. Total bottom time of 63 minutes with 1100 psi still to spare.

Pics will be posted when I get home next week.

sounds like a good time

Matteo:
I didn't know that diving had made it to the thriving metropolis of Pell City, AL yet:D

Well apparently it has. I guess Pell City does thrive on water... there would be no revenue if it was not for Lake Logan Martin. That being said, I wouldn't live there if I didn't have a lakehouse.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom