Trip Report Key Largo 5/16-17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Too bad you got blown out for day 3 and only got to experience Molasses, however it's supposedly one of the best reefs there and based on your description seemed good considering the conditions.

I'm headed back to KL next month and can't wait.

From my limited experience, KL diving was better than north wall GC diving, however lighthouse point (and assuming other west wall diving) was as good or better, mostly because the marine life was much more concentrated.

How would you compare your caribbean diving to KL?
The coral here in the upper keys is not in the same conversation as the north wall
That being said the fish life here is thick,varied and amazing!
One problem here is trying to get a shot of a shark or eel because there are so many other fish in the way lol

The coral here in the upper keys is not in the same conversation as the north wall
That being said the fish life here is thick,varied and amazing!
One problem here is trying to get a shot of a shark or eel because there are so many other fish in the way lol

That's very true regarding the coral comparison and general reef topography, I prefer abundant marine life over tons of coral/sea fans I guess, hence why so far the west side of GC have been my favorite dives.

Great trip report. We are heading to KL end of March, staying at Marriott, and looking at Rainbow Reef.

Great report!

South FL is an ‘undiscovered gem’ for those that want warm, tropical water and typically just do Caribbean destinations. From Jupiter down to Key Largo ... so many great dive destinations!

Jupiter and WPB is the bestest, no swimming. And you get a ton of practice sending up your DSMB. :cool:

South FL is an ‘undiscovered gem’ for those that want warm, tropical water and typically just do Caribbean destinations. From Jupiter down to Key Largo ... so many great dive destinations!
Shhhhh........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom