Keeping Your New Year's Fitness Resolution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What kind of trainer do you use with your bike? I am thinking about getting one.

C51E3188-4DE0-4097-BDB8-D72E60C8947F.jpeg

28091342-F1B9-417C-BF1D-E45715CBF1E3.jpeg

We used to lurk on Bike Forum and then read the reviews

It works well

Looks like maybe you have the Mag

Indoor Bike Trainers, Rollers and Indoor Cycles

I like new too :)

The gear out there that has been used a few times and some old lady is threatening to get it out of the living room is amazing though

I like the hunt

Another nice piece of gear is the pneumatic rowing machine
11CA116E-8E36-4EF5-B24C-7E7F31454E6A.jpeg

I would like it in living room so I can watch tv but I was vetoed

HOW TO KEEP THAT NEW YEAR'S FITNESS RESOLUTION:

Forget what you think you need to do and do what you will do. Start small. Go for quality. 1 set of push-ups done right is better than 3 half-arsed. Exercise daily until you build your strength and stamina to the point where you will need to take a day off between workouts for muscle recovery. Forget the mirror. Forget the scale. Set a goal based upon performance. Something like doing 50 push-ups and 20 pull-ups, bench pressing 250 pounds, running an 8 minute mile, etc., and work towards that until victorious then pick another goal. You'll be surprised that you can get in shape with less volume and more focus and intensity.

I work with people on this sort of thing for a living, and this is all really sound. The only thing I'd add is to try to back off of the New Year's Resolution angle, since those so famously go away shortly after New Year's anyway. I suggest thinking about the life that you really want to live and then start doing those things that will create that life. That's it. If you don't have the life/fitness/health that you want and that isn't due to some specific chronic medical condition, it means you need to change what you're doing.

I bet Craig’s list is full of them

There is rarely a need to buy brand new exercise equipment unless that's what you really want. The world is full of nearly new, barely used equipment that people bought with high hopes and good intentions, and now just want out of the way so that they don't feel guilty every time they look at it. Best to do your homework, scope out what you want, and then hunt it down on the used market at a nice discount. If you ultimately lose interest and don't want it anymore, you can probably get all or most of your money back out of it since it was used when you bought it.

Exactly
But my husband likes new stuff and I just convinced him to buy higher end gear barely used
Some people like the thrill of new
I like the thrill of top quality for cheap :wink:

Exactly
But my husband likes new stuff and I just convinced him to buy higher end gear barely used
Some people like the thrill of new
I like the thrill of top quality for cheap :wink:
I just made an offer on Kijiji for a Fluid 2 for $100 CAD. Looks new.

My all time favourite is swimming but it’s sooooo dang cold here (record cold temperatures) and cannot get myself into the pool. I also moved away from my preferred Masters swim group, and don’t have any discipline so am no longer swimming.

I’m starting kickboxing again tomorrow and will resume hot yoga. This combination gives me upper body strength.

What kind of trainer do you use with your bike? I am thinking about getting one.
Cycle Ops makes a good one...you'll also need a front wheel block to elevate the front tire. I have mine setup in our theater room. I ride for the duration of a movie during the winter months...an hour and a half to two goes by quickly if the movie is good :)

Back
Top Bottom