Keeping the Vandenberg upright

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geokr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
The sinking of the Vandenberg is going to be a treasure for divers everywhere and an economic boon to the Keys and for the operators down there. But....if the ship sinks or remains anything but upright its value as an attraction would seem to be greatly diminished. Given the financial problems this effort is having to overcome, is there anything being done or that can be done to ensure that it stays upright and within reach of all but the most qualified or adventurous divers? Laying on its side it just wouldn't be as cool.....

Last edited:
I think that after all of the problems with the Spiegel,and after all of the recent success, there shouldnt be a problem setting her where they want her upright. With that said, even if she is on her side, there is a chance that shell get righted like the Grove did, and I dont think that would be a detriment to most divers.

Hopefully there will be a lot of experienced people on hand to ensure she goes down upright.
I agree with the Vandenburg's profile, it would be a SUPREME disappointment to see her on her side. I would still dive her but I think it would be far better to be upright.
Now that the Oriskany is sinking lower (150' to the flight deck) I hope they have surveyed the bottom carefully to ensure it doesnt sink too low!

The Texas clipper is on its' side, the Yukon is on its' side, Oriskany tried to go down on her side, and the Spiegel Grove story is well known. Despite the millions spent designing sink plans, sinking ships have shown a tendency to defy the engineers and do whatever they want to do as they're going down. And they continue to do so once they're on the bottom.

The Oriskany is still upright, but has settled approximately 8-10 feet deeper than her original depth - flight deck is now averaging 145' deep, and is presumably sitting on rock now. She did not subside any further during Hurricane Ike.

, is there anything being done or that can be done to ensure that it stays upright and within reach of all but the most qualified or adventurous divers? Laying on its side it just wouldn't be as cool.....

Simple.... Let the professionals sink it.

The US Navy sunk the Oriskany because the Corp or Engineers specified it.

The Speigel Grove sinking was organzied by a bunch of dive shop owners who had no experience sinking a ship. Then the local government had to pony up $250,000 to flip it on its side. (they hired a professional salvage group to do it.)

You want the Vandenberg to be an upright wreck, then let the professionals sink it.

But I doubt that will happen seeing all the problems they have been having with their oganizing groups and funding.

they have striped all of the large dish arrays off it so its going to be just another wreck

The dishes have been put back on. They took the rotating gear out for safety reason, and then replaced on the ship. For a little bit I thought that the prop was off also, but they were welding it to the hull.

From bigshipwrecks.com site:

This morning, Friday Feb 6, 2009, Vandenberg moved from the location where it had been impounded to a new shipyard where final preparations for the tow to Key West will take place.

After more than 10 years of alternating heartbreak and hope, the Vandenberg team and our loyal supporters are beginning to feel the sweet breezes of success filling our sails at last. An 11th hour rescue from the auction block by local businessman and prominent citizen, Jack Spottswood, freed the ship from seizure by the shipyard. Now she will be prepared for towing from Virginia to Key West. Preparations for deployment will take place dockside in the Southernmost City. Visitors and locals will be able to view the ship before she undertakes her final mission as a permanent marine habitat.

they have striped all of the large dish arrays off it so its going to be just another wreck

The dishes have been put back on. They took the rotating gear out for safety reason, and then replaced on the ship. For a little bit I thought that the prop was off also, but they were welding it to the hull.

I heard the same thing....

the dishes were just removed as part of the prep of the ship and then they were re-mounted.

I'm glad they are welding the prop to the hull.... that'll keep someone from trying to dynamite the screw off like they did on the Empire Mica.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom